Fuel gauge problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick McKinnon

Reaction score
'05 S/T and the tank read 1/4 tank full,parked on slight incline toward motor,came back hour later and bells started ringing about low fuel!!! are there any recalls for faulty fuel gauges from ford? 270 miles on 3/4 tank, filled up and put in 20 gals in to fill it up.I had 2 gals left when alarm went off. don't want to run out of gas miles from nowhere,disabled and difficult to get around.anyone can advise...

Mine fluctuates terribly based on the incline or decline of the vehicle. If I'm headed up hill or parked on an incline, it shows up to an 1/8 more gas than I actually have; decline, up to 1/8 less than I actually have. Been like that since I bought it and I read somewhere that there really is no fix. I pass by gas stations every day and see no reason to allow the tank to go below 1/2 full, so I don't really have an issue with it. I have driven ~20 mi. when the gauge read below empty, though.

:welcome:

If you park "nose-down" the gauge will indicate lower than actual level. The fuel has moved away from the sending unit.

If you park "tail-down" you will get a higher reading. Gravity has brought more fuel towards the sending unit.

There is nothing wrong with the gauge. It is receiving the signal based on the amount of fuel in contact with the sending unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats working NORMAL !!!

The way the placement of the float in the tank is what causes this.... IT is actually in the owners manual as well

I have had my 04 die on the driveway with OVER 1/4 tank..... have to park different in low gas situations.

Todd Z

An issue with every vehicle I've ever owned.

Until a self leveling fuel tank is developed, live with it.

Boats with fuel tanks, floats, and electric senders are worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the gauge reading differently when parked on an incline. What bothers me is when the low fuel light comes on in my 04 I only have 1 gallon left. My rangers had approx. 4 gallons when the light came on.