Fuel in my oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
2005 xlt. It looks like I am getting fuel in my oil or as the old timers used to say 'making oil'. What are the likely sources with these engines?

Thanks

Are you sure it is fuel. I would think the only point where fuel comes near an oil source in an engine is in he combustion chamber, and then it could only happen if the air/fuel mixture doesn't ignite. Yet you don't mention anything about feeling of hearing any 'missing' of the engine. Is there another point I am not aware of?

What appearance has the oil taken that leads you to think there is fuel in it?

Oil is way overfilled and thinned out as with fuel. No indications of water. I am being told most likely a stuck fuel injector keeps leaking fuel into a cylinder. I just filled the tank with a bottle of Techron injector cleaner and topped the tank off with Techron 93 octane gas. I hope I get lucky.

/

I just filled the tank with a bottle of Techron injector cleaner and topped the tank off with Techron 93 octane gas. I hope I get lucky.

The injector cleaner is wise. The 93 fuel wont help.

Confirm the diagnosis with an oil sample. Did you recently have an oil change done by someone else - like a fast lube?

Do you have a clogged intake? I put a foam air filter on a VW years ago, and apparently the foam was restrictive enough that it caused the carb to overflow and flooded the crankcase with gasoline. I know our trucks don't have carbs, but thought you might want to make sure it is getting enough air too. Stuck injector sounds most likely.

Pull the plugs and see which one is leaking by the soot on the plug?

Oil is way overfilled

ME,

Does the oil smell like fuel? Also as Vic asked, was there a recent oil change.

Also when I change the oil and filter. It is always above full. I read in my Ford workshop manual. The engine actualy holds 4.6 qts with new filter, not 5.

quick and dirty way to check for fuel in oil is to take the dipstick out and put a lighter to the bottom of the dipstick where the little bit of oil is. If it catches fire you have fuel in it. If it doesn't then you don't.

Latest posts