Fuel injector treatment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Ziadie

Reaction score
I have a 2002 ST. Does anyone know if I should be putting a bottle of fuel injector treatment in the tank every oil change or so? I do it with my older car, I'm just not sure if these newer vehicles need it.

From an earlier post, thought it may spread some light on your question...

Ok, there are more than a few views on this...

First off. Injectors are nothing more than sophisticated solenoids that also have pop type valves in them that require a certain amount of pressure for them to work properly.

So, if a little tiny man crawls into your intake and puts his thumb over the end of the injector this is what happens. All the systems operate properly and the un-used fuel returns to the fuel tank. Since there is a return to the fuel tank the fuel takes the path of least resistance. Since his thumb is over the hole it is easier to return to the tank. Traditional fuel injector cleaners will take the same path so they really do not clean an injector if is is plugged. If it is a good operating injector they will HELP keep them clean and operating properly.

Many companies offer fuel injection cleaning. Most of them do nothing more than put a pressurized can (Or external container of some form) onto the input side of the fuel rail. They turn it on and start the car. Once it is empty the car stalls. This method is the middle of the road as at least it all goes into the rail and has the opportunity to pass thru the injectors.

A second method is where they thread into the Shrader Valve and pretty much do the same thing as above. It is the lower of the three methods as the fuel pump in your OEM tank is still running the vehicle with the gas in your tank. It simply picks up some of the cleaner on the way past the Shrader Valve.

The third way and one that works very well is the Motor-vac system. Ford created it some time ago and had a copyright on it for years. A few years back Snap-On and now other companies have copied the system as the rights have been lifted.

This system requires your to remove both the inlet and outlet lines of the fuel rail. You need to pull the fuse or trip the fuel pump inertia valve to disable the fuel pump.

You hook up lines to the fuel rail. On the Motor-vac unit it has a self contained fuel tank as well as a pressure regulator. You look up the specs on the proper pressure that the vehicle runs at at max pressure. You increase it by 10 to 15%. The return line exists only in the event that there is a true blockage. It allows the fuel to dump back to the self contained tank. In this tank you add a cleaner, (Motor Vac Liquid). You turn on the remote unit until it starts to dump back to the self contained tank. This ensures all is good to go and the air has been purged from all the lines.

Start the vehicle.

The return line is restricted so that you can build up adequate pressure in the system. Now, the fuel and cleaner is FORCED thru the injectors as opposed to simply dumping into the bypass of the injector. The new path of least resistance is thru the injector as the return line is restricted. This system actually does a very good job and almost always smooths out engine stumble as well as restores your gas mileage.

Takes about 20 to 25 minutes in general of run time. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to do this job.

At out shop we charge $139.00 to do this service. We also clean the throttle body and the IAC at the same time, (using the Motor-Vac fluid).

A bit long but a good description of your options....

Latest posts