Fuel Pump Shut off switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Love

Reaction score
I have an 05 ST w 97k miles on it and i am having problems with it. Sometimes when i come to a complete stop, the engine stalls because its not getting enough gas. This is the second time it happened in 3 months. Once it stalls, it will not start back up until I reset the fuel system by pushing the reset button on the fuel shut off valve on the floorboard on front passenger side. Once reset it starts right up. There was nothing to trip the shut off valve since i was driving on paved streets with no major bumps. Do I have a faulty switch? Could it be the fuel pump itself? :throwup:

When the inertia switch trips the red button will pop up. You can feel it move when you "reset" it. After reset it stays down. Is the button "up" when you reset it and it cranks? If so, you need a new switch.

There was a recall on that switch IIRC I had mine replaced and it was covered under my warranty. There is an updated version. I'd take it to the dealer and complain about it.

It is not uncommon for this switch to fail. It is nothing more than a connection that is literally one metal part sitting on top of another metal part, in essence, it is a break in a wire. It allows for a poor connection. I would just replace it.

If you absolutely want to test it, you can bypass it using wire. Once you determine it is solved, then replace the switch as it is there for a reason. If you get in an accident it SHOULD stop the fuel flow thus stop from feeding the fire so to speak..

Latest posts