Future mods

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper S

Reaction score
Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of this mod stuff since the last two have really improved the Trac. Now for my questions and your advice:

1. I want to lower the Trac maybe 1/2 to 1 inch front and 2" in the rear, is this going to require a front-end alignment after the torsion bar adjustment...I would think so. Where is a good place to buy the blocks for the rear I'll need? Anything I should be aware of that hasn't already been covered? How will the ride be after this?

2. I want to widen the stance of the Trac but do not want to use spacers. I don't care if the wheel backspace is different front to rear. I like the look of Cardomain's 17" Rage wheels but he never did say if the 285/60/17's rubbed or required spacers, or what backpacing he has, etc. I did a quick net search and can't find the Rage 208's. Are they out of production? Any suggestions for what I want to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, you'll need an aligment. Ride really won't be affected much at all. Follow the lower up with some appropriate shocks and ride will be improved.

2. The best way to widen the track without using spacers is by using a wheel with a lower offset then stock. A 285/60R17 is a bit wide for the front for a lowered Trac, although it you use lower offset wheels, it'll help there. I'm not sure on any specifics on the 208's. An offset closer to 0 on a 7" wide wheel (stock width) will push the wheel more towards the outside of the vehicle, widening the track.

I've got the 208's, but I do not know the specifics, since I bought them from another ST owner (Ron Brezina). At the moment I'm running at stock height without spacers, and there is no rubbing. I will soon lower to 3 in the rear and 2 up front, so I will provide a progress report on fitment. At the moment, the front tires just barely stick out of the wheelwells, and the back wheels are flush with the wheelwells. As far as the 208s, unfortunately, they are out of production. Sometimes you can find a set on eBay.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts