Gas mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J T 3

Reaction score
My 2003 with 178K mile is getting 19 MPG right now, much to my surprise. This is great, but are there other things I can do to make the MPG even better?

Only drive it downhill, and tow it uphill...:bwahaha:

Seriously, your mileage is about spot on what you should expect...assuming that 19 MPG is an overall (city/highway) mixed mileage? As long as you keep the vehicle maintained and keep the tires properly inflated, I don't know that anyone can suggest anything that will improve your gas mileage.

I certainly would not invest in any kind of special equipment to try to gain more HP or gas mileage. Not all modifications will save you gas, and even if they do, the improvements are very small and the payback time is very long....After all, the truck is 11 years old, and you may want to move up to a newer vehicle soon and you may never get your money back?

I recommend that you just keep doing what you are doing and be happy.

...Rich

Oh, I'm happy, for sure. I was just inquiring if there was something small I could do in addition to what I'm already doing. I plan to drive it until it won't go anymore.

Thanks.

Full synthetic oil. Has the oil in the differential been changed? Tire pressure? Just great maintenance is about all you need to do.

19 MPG combined city/highway is excellent, and above average, IMO.

I have'nt checked yet but I just did the rear diffy oil. I drive in the Texas hill country everyday. I was going down a hill today that I always travel and coasted up to 70+mph before I knew it. Normally, i get up to 55/60mph by the same point. Call me crazy but the coasting in general has greatly improved. Thus, better mpg's

Install synthetic lubricants in all applications - engine, transmission, differential. Keep your air filter clean. Use a good gas additive like AMSOIL P.i. every 4K. Maintain proper tire pressure. I do all that in my Gen2 V6 (66K), but am unable to get above 19 mpg. My previous Gen1 V6 got the same. I think that's about the best we can expect for this Ford engine.