Gen 2 - Questions on Roof Rack And/Or Bed Racks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lienemannsd

Reaction score
Hello All,

Been a long time since I have had to post on here and figured this could be the best way to get some advice or posts on what others have done. Let me prefix this by saying I have a 2009 Gen 2 XLT. I'm done some searching on the forums but don't think I came across anything that helped.

For starters, the first thing I am trying to put together is some sort of bed rack that would fit and also be compatible with the Sport Trac. I've done tons of research and have tried getting for sure answers for a number of the popular brands but could NEVER get a definite answer on if one would work or not. So I'm curious if anyone here has seen someone or themselves have a bed rack on and could send me what they got or any modifications I would need to do. Ironically, just a few days ago, I was at a stop light and seen another sport trac (same gen as mine) on the opposite side of the red light from me with both a custom roof and bed rack installed. I attempted to turn around as soon as possible to see if the guy would be friendly enough to show and tell me what he did but I got caught up by more lights and lost him, sad day.

If a bed rack doesn't work, I could also make a compatible roof rack work, but once again, any sort of search when it asks for your vehicle type never gives a definitely answer like most of the more popular pickups and vehicles (tacomas, rangers, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shawn

Not sure what you mean by "bed rack". What are you looking to carry? I built a simple thing that allows me to carry four adult sized bikes in the back of my '01. No banging about and totally secure.

Not sure what you mean by "bed rack". What are you looking to carry? I built a simple thing that allows me to carry four adult sized bikes in the back of my '01. No banging about and totally secure.
can you post pics - because this is a issue that i am dealing with also. how to transport my bike to and from ride locations without loosing a major investment.

20220630_124006.jpg20220630_125532.jpg20220630_123855.jpg20220630_123907.jpg
Length of 2x6 cut to fit the indents on the wheel wells. Found the four Saris quick release mounts on ebay for like $20 for all four used but in perfect condition. Remove the front wheel from the bikes and mount. Fits four bikes perfectly (26" Kink Drifter custom, 20" Kink Williams custom, 29" large Trek Marlin6, 26" DelSol Flow3, 24" Yolo Beach cruiser: any combo of these bikes confirmed fit). Hold down with straps, i stick the front wheels between the bikes and string to the straps. Tail gate has to stay open because, well, 4ft bed. I would get you a pic with the bikes in but it is raining crazy now and supposed to for the next week.

Edit: I also tend to carry my bigass Kryptonite locks with me so I can lock them to the truck if I have to stop somewhere.

Last edited:
For myself it will be for bigger items, kayaks, canoes and potential for a roof top tent. I currently already do kayaks/canoes but lose all of the space in the back. The heaviest item would be the roof top tent which I am looking into as well for some of our camping adventures.

Why not put the tent, coolers, other camping stuff in the back and then mount the kayaks to the roof. Probably don't want your heaviest items on the roof. Kayaks are pretty light, at least the ones I have played around in, but I've only dealt with them twice and both were rentals so what do I know.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve had this same issue. I’ve put it on the back burner because I have other project ideas to spend my money on in the meantime.
Prinsu pissed me off, I’ve emailed them twice about something that would fit around the roof rails and both times the pricks responded with, “we have some that would fit those dimensions, but we wouldn’t suggest using our racks” and refused to tell me the model. I understand there are ways these are designed to disperse weight in a certain way, and I specifically said I will figure out my own process of mounting to the roof.
As for a bed rack, I’ve got some bids that were affordable. It’s just copying an old member’s design utilizing the tie downs. I was looking at making it from square steel tubing, but I’m sure you could get a fancy CNC design.

Attachments

• B05C896B-49CD-42BF-BD60-C9A1FE91CB1C.png
    B05C896B-49CD-42BF-BD60-C9A1FE91CB1C.png
    581.9 KB · Views: 35
I’ve never pulled the trigger on the bed rack because I want to level it with my roof rack. Plus, I can’t find the weight limits for the tie downs—I’d like to know that first. Can’t seem to find the metric.

Have you seen this? ...

i have seen a few built ones but that one is a clean nice set up.

Check on Pinterest, I saw quite a few different looks, many, many pictures of Sport Trac all decked out, good luck.

Latest posts