Getting Flush and Fill done today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
The last time I pulled my boat I noticed a smell coming from my engine area, I didn't have an O/D flashing or a CEL light issue, but I figured I'd get the transmission flushed and filled this morning. My wife is waiting there since she is off this morning and our mechanic told her the fluid was pretty dark so it was good I'm getting it flushed, especially since I'll be towing the boat up north next weekend and driving 5-600miles with it.

Make sure he uses the Right fluid !!!

Todd Z

I think Ford recommend a tranny fluid change/flush every 30K miles, however I prefer to do it every 25K miles. If you do a lot of towing, you should probably look at 15K-20K miles.

As Todd said, be sure they use Mercon-V fluid. I do not trust any of the so-called Universal transmission fluids, or anything that requires an additive. I prefer a 100% synthetic fluid and a number of companies make Mercon-V in a 100% synthetic that work great as a replacement for the usual semi-synthetic Mercon-V, but it might cost a little bit more.

...Rich

I brought it into a mechanic that I've been going to for ~10 years. His prices are always reasonable, if not cheaper than most, but stands behind their service. It cost me $113, full flush and new filter. The local Kennedy Transmission wanted to get $200 for the same. My Trac has just over 139K on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts