getting new tires, but which size?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom S

Reaction score
Okay, I've had the truck (03 ST 4x4 w/100k miles) 1 months, but these Wrangler's suck, have become unbalanced twice already. They've got almost new tread, but I'm taking a long-ish trip in another week and don't think I can tolerate them for it.

Pretty much decided that Grabber HTS will be the replacement (rated pretty decent on tirerack). Most of my driving is highway, I'm in the coastal plain of NC so driving in snow is rarely/never going to happen.

Truck came with 255/70R16, but trying to decide if I'll stick with the original size, go narrower/taller (1.3% faster - speedo at 60=60.8mph actual) with 245/75R16, or narrower/shorter (0.8% slower - 60=59.5mph), neither of which is off by enough to matter. Wondering if a narrower tire will have any impact on improving mpg.

Stock Wranglers have a load index of 109, Grabber HTS in 245/75R16 and 255/70R16 both have load index of 111, but the 235/75R16 drops to 108, and all have a speed rating of S (108).

Unless a better suggestion is offered, will likely get them from tirerack. Prices: $92 for 235/75, $93 for 245/75, $102 for 255/70.

Leaning toward the 245's personally, but Opinions/Suggestions?

IMO, stay with 255/70-16. Gas millage from narrow, you wont notice. Make sure the tire can take 35psi cold. That plus driving style will be your mpg.

I keep the RPMs below 3000, do mild take-offs, and keep it at 70mph on the hwy (which is about 75% of my driving). The Grabber HTS in all of these sizes has 44psi max cold inflation. My thought process was telling me that the 245/75's had the same ratings across the board as the 255/70's at almost $40 less.

TJ

I agree with Eddie. If I were to be buying new tires at this time the Grabber HTS would be my choice as well. Also, look into getting a SCT XCalibrator tuner, just let Torrie (site sponsor) Fast Parts Network know what tire size; plus you can get up to 3 different tunes.

Maybe just me but for $40. I prefer the extra 10mm footprint if staying stock wheels. Now thats a different story for me. Im running 18" wheels 265/60. They are the same diameter as 255/70.

I know you dont do much snow driving, but i just got a set of the grabber AT2 on my 06 ranger 4x4 and i have the same traction in 2wd as i did in 4wd with the wranglers before...i paid around $130 per tire though for 255/70/16, but i love them!

Andy Szkutak

I'm going 265/70-16 which are slightly wider and taller with teh same load, actually a bit better there also.

Blackwall at $103 over WOL at $115.

I wouldn't go with the 75's.

They are going to ride harsher and handle a stiffer.

Look at the sidewall constrution. they are a high number of pliews, which means a stiffer and less giving sidewall.

Either way good luck :)

Latest posts