Gibson Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B 4

Reaction score
Did a search and did not find anything, so curious as to who may be running a Gibson exhaust and your thoughts. on it. I have always been a MagnaFlow guy but do not see a listing for the V-6. It appears I can get a SS Gibson for $338 and hope this may help the MPG a little as well as add some style.

Pics would be nice too.

I had a Gibson on my '97 Explorer 4.0. I really didn't like the sound. It was kinda whimpy and the drone on the highway.......... my wife hated riding in it.

I now have the Dynomax on my '01 ST. LOVE IT! It is the best sounding v6 I have ever heard and you can tell a difference with it. It is peppier. And, no droan!

Hope this helps.

I have a gibson cat back. I really like it and think it is worth the money. I have no pictures, sorry. It does not make that rattly sound that I hear on some of the magnaflows. Any high flow exhaust will get you better MPG. Nice mellow sound and very little drone in the cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

I have a Gibson on my 02. Difference is noticed on shift points and 2500-3500 RPM range. I agree with Scott as far as the sound. Very nice low-mid mellow purr with instant medium throat when you hit the gas paddle. I have the aluminum for price. I love it.

Mike

I put a Gibson on my '08 a few weeks ago. Sounds good outside the truck, too loud inside the truck.

The wife bitches about it. :rolleyes: I got another chrome tip yesterday with a resonator built in, have not put it on yet.

It seems I picked up about 1 mpg on the highway, nothing in town.

I got the aluminized system, washed it with Dawn, roughed it up with some #400 grit, and painted it with silver hi-temp paint before I put it on.

I will say it bolted right on, no fuss no muss. We did have to tinker with some different and shorter bolts where the donut bolts on behind the cat.

I did have pics until I accidentally wiped out my entire Cardomain site. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the feedback. I do not mind a little sound in the cab as I like to hear my truck. It is nice right now being so quite but something is missing when I get on it. If I can gain an MPG that is a plus too.

I too have the Gibson (aluminum) cat back and I've been happy with it. I like the exhaust tone although I liked it better the way I initially had it set up; my truck is slighly lifted and what I did was I removed the pipe that goes from the muffler up and over the axle and I put a turn-down (at an agle 45 degrees pointed to the side of the truck to exit) on it right after the muffler. I tell you what that was a downright mean sound with the reverb off of concrete or asphalt!! I wish I had gone SS maybe for the long term. There used to be an $80 or so difference in the cost of them so it sounds like you've got a really good deal.

I had a Gibson on my Tribute. It sounded fine, fit well, but the noise inside the vehicle was awful.

I plan on going with Dynomax on my Trac. I have used Dynomax on several vehicles and really liked it.

FYI: Dynomax has a $30 rebate going on right now for Cat-back systems.

THat makes the Gen1 system from Rockauto.com $200.00, hell of a deal.

I had a Dynomax muffler (Aluminized) on my old Cougar and was very impressed with how it held up, especially thru Cleveland winters.

Does the Dynomax advertised on RockAuto have the tip in back of the trac or on the corner like OEM system? The info seems a little vague.

Joseymack

Do search for dynomax on this site I know a couple people have them, they could answer questions about the tip placement.

Maybe check Dynomax's site for a 07 listing.

Already visited the Dynomax site and did not find a listing. Waiting for Borla to get back to me, maybe they will use my vehicle for a prototype. Hope so they are just down the road. If not will order the Gibson this weekend.

Went stainless and installed it today. Fit well, went in easy, looks great, and sound is "OK". I say "OK" because I have to get used to the V6 sound. Last truck was a Hemi with Bassani duals and that was sweet. My neighbor told me the other day he misses hearing that truck in the morning. Said it was one of the best sounded vehicles he has ever heard.

We'll see how this works out, stock is in the attic if needed.

I will post pics later.

Yeah I know, but right now it sounds like a Honda(Guess it would as they both have V6's). After driving it today, it does seem to be settling in. Mileage is lower than normal but increasing, idle is smoothing out, and it still looks great. I think I may disconnect the battery and have it relearn with the new exhaust on.

The sound will change some over the next couple weeks, too. The hot and cold cycling causes it to "break-in."