Glock opinions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingo

Reaction score
It's time for a new gun. Here are the issues:

1. I have big hands.

2. Concealability.

3. Reliability.

I've narrowed it down to a Glock 30, of a Glock 36. They're the same exact size, but the 36 is slightly thinner (easier to conceal). Although that's great, the big hand thing becomes an ever-so-mild issue, but is tolerable. The 36 also holds 6+1, there the 30 holds 10+1, but if I can't hit someone/something with 7 shots, I probably shouldn't have a gun anyway, right? The 30 also has a front rail for tac lights, etc, but I'm not going to be doing tactical home invasions or anything. There are also a ton more holsters and accessories for the 30. I can get them both for the same price.

What should I do?

I'm not a big fan of Glock. I have seen to many people "limp wrist" it and have it fail to load the next round correctly.(Not saying anything about your sexual preferences Dingo:D) I'm a big guy and have a Ruger .45 and have had no problems with it. I have some old Army buddies who are now into law inforcement and have Glocks. I've shot them and have had it happen. It even happens to them every so often at the range. SIG's are also a good option. My dad got a really nice S&W that is nice and small for concealment and was half the price of a Glock. That thing will put rounds out all day.;)

Well, I've held about 100 different guns in the last 24 hours, and those are the only small .45s that even remotely fit my hand. Additionally, I've NEVER had an issue with a Glock, including about 85 gazillion rounds when I was in the military.

I've heard some people have the limp-wrist problem, though. My problem with most of the other manufacturers is that they have too many gadgets and levers on the outside that hinders concealability.

Well, I have nothing but great things to say about my Glock G20. I have had it for about 12 years now, and have fired thousands of rounds through it. It has fallen in the mud, water (both shallow, and deeper), been fired in the very cold, and very hot temperature zones. Not once have I had ever had it fail to load the next round properly. I have even done the experiment, which has sold people on Glocks over the years firing it under the water. I stuck it into the water at my friends lake at his private farm and discharged a total of 30 rounds (two clips), while submerged into the water. Not once did it misfire, jam, or anything else. Immediately after, I shot about 60 more rounds out of the water, and it worked like a charm. Most people for some unknown reason dislike the Glock, because it is not all metal, and think it is just a cheesy plastic weapon. Law enforcement, and government officials use it, and rely on it for a reason. Sorry to vent, but I had to say what I know, tested, and experienced with a Glock...:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me say that I was in no way knocking the Glock guns. I was just mentioning it in case you weren't familiar with guns. I run into alot of people in my area that buy the Glocks just because they get to say they own a Glock. Then they have the problems I suggested. I always tell people to get the one that fits nicely in thier hand. As you know, it should feel like it's part of you. I was really impressed by my dad's S&W though. ;)

I have a .45 Glock model 21. Love it. Not one problem shooting yet. (LOTS)

I also wanted a Glock for carrying concealed, while the 'conceal' models are smaller from the side view, they all are quite thick.

I know you didn't ask about another brand, but I got a KelTec P3AT (.380). It's .75" thick and EASY to conceal.

Good luck whatever you decide.

P.S. Buy LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of ammo, quick.... ;)

I found a Smith I really liked, but it was just simply too wide to be concealed unless you're wearing an arctic parka.

Yeah, you will run into that when looking into .45's. The round is just to bulky to make the gun "thin". That was why my dad went with a 9mm. He already had a .45, but wanted something smaller that my mother could shoot if needed.;)

I would say go for the Glock 30 with more choices of holsters/accessories.

I have always been a fan of SIG. However, even their "carry" model of the .45 still has a full size frame, just a 1/2" shortened barrel.

On a side note, my father is a retired police officer and carried a SIG P220 .45cal for the past 30 years. He now works for a county agency that issues Glocks, and he carries a G21.

I asked him once which one he prefers, he said "Whichever one stops the bad guy."

My Kimber is my main conceal carry, but when I don't have it, I carry my XD. Like JD said, it is similiar, but choosing between the two, my XD has smoother action and trigger than any Glock I've shot, even shooting the +P's I carry in it.

I'm leaning toward the .40 cal XD myself, I was very impressed with it at the shop. Although I have not shot one yet the shop owner speaks quite highly of it.

My backup/conceal is a Kel Tec .380 cal. It is small than my hand and maybe a 1/2" thick. It fits in just about any pocket.

I am happy with my G .45 Large hand issue too, I found the slimmer 9mm and others that the slide would hit the top of my hand every now and then...

Yes the .45 has less kick back then the 9 and the ammo is more money, But for the little I use it, I like it the best..

Now it was second to a Taurus 9... That was a piece of junk !!

Todd Z

Trial by fire: 20,000 rounds are put through Springfield Armory's XD.

Springfield Armory is my preferred C&C weapon. very concealable and never jams. There is a link to a great torture test below! I have a SA XD9 Subcompact in 9mm which is the smallest and it is fine for me and really concealable with either 10 or 16 round mags. They offer it and the larger frames in 9mm, 40 SW & 45ACP! I have bought 4 handguns this year and have my old P89 Ruger and i still go back to my SA XD! Just a thought...read the review...it's amazing - They compare it to a Glock. Never shot a glock though myself!

'07 ST:D

Dingo,

Buy both guns, and try them out. Keep the gun you like the best and send the other one to me :D:D

The other option would be to buy any gun you like and go to a reputable hand surgeon for a hand-reduction surgery so that your hand fits the gun you bought. :D:D

Seriously, If you only want the gun for home protection, why does it need to be consealable? Why do you find it necessary to conceal a weapon on your person while in you own home?

....Rich

Latest posts