Go for my dream truck, or the less expensive but more optioned one...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Hale

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have decided to decrease our vehicle count from two to one for a little while. I am working nights so I get to work from home for the next couple months at least, and we seem to only ever be driving my wife's 2010 Fusion, my 2008 has been sitting there all alone.

We would basically save $50 a month in insurance, plus $250 by getting rid of my car.

Well, the dealership by me just got a 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin delivered, V8, AWD, Navigation, Silver, etc. I have been trying to get one of these for awhile, in the past I have owned three of the pre-redesign ST's, and loved them, and this is basically my LAST chance to get a new Adren.

So we worked through some numbers with the dealer, and would turn in my 2008 Fusion and come out even (its a lease and the dealership is just going to buy it out) and my wife's 2010 Fusion has more owed than its worth right now, but once I get a refund from the extended warranty, gap, and the $1500 from going from a lease to a purchase, we come out almost even actually.

Now thats the background on how I got here (long I know). The real question is:

Do I go with my dream truck (almost dream, its a silver and I want red, but silver is a close second so I will live, I have him checking though for a Red).

Or do I go with a truck that would actually be cheaper, but be better in some ways.

I was looking at a 2010 FX4 Crew Cab with navigation and all the goodies. It would actually be $1700 LESS than the Sport Trac. Which is frustrating, but what can you do.

My wife wants the Sport Trac, she thinks the F-150 is too big, and it is bigger than what we need right now, but for the money...

Anyway, I know this is an ST site, and I should go with what might make me happier, just trying to get some other opinions before I sign away $36000.

:banghead: Such decisions!

If the ST suits you now, then go for it! Plus that F150 triples in size in a parking lot..LOL

You dont want to regret passing the ST up, and kicking yourself later.

Go for the dream. $1,700 really isn't that much when you're spending $35,000-$45,000 (okay, it is a lot, but think in terms of percentages). And, with the ST being done, finished, etc., it's your last chance.

Yeah, I just remembered also that when I do go back to working from the office I will be parking in our parking garage which is kinda low, and the last thing I need is to have my truck not fit. I am sure I have seen F-150's there before, but its still scary low at some parts, and backing an ST into a space would be MUCH easier.

Just need to add backup sensors/camera because the walls are really low and hard to see even in my Fusion.

Thanks!

Flip a coin, then live with your decision. I agree about the parking thing and my wife is the same way about the size issue. Bigger isn't always better! So, for the same money, you get the truck you really want (silver is a really nice color, skip the red, too many on the road) BC

I would think if the Trac is what I really want. Also $1700 is nonthing when you spend that much anyway. Wont be anymore Tracs'. I wouldnt be happy unless I got what I wanted, after I worked out the $$$ details, as you have.

Get the Trac. Last year they're making them. And the Adrenalins rock. In my I simply don't NEED a full-size truck, besides which it wouldn't fit in my garage. Sport Tracs are the Swiss Army Knife of trucks.

Thanks all, I am sure I am going with the ST. We spent about 3 hours at the dealership today trying to get things in order.

Do any of you notice any vibration in the steering wheel of your ST's on acceleration? This Adrenalin had some and I wasn't sure if it was the road or the truck, but my 08' Fusion had nothing at all when driving the same path. Its not a heavy vibration, very light, but noticeable.

Will find out Monday though if we can get it, they were slammed and didn't get an answer from the finance company before we left.

Derek,

I don't have one.... I bet the rims are out of ballance....

Todd Z

Normally my truck has no "vibration" issues. Only when coming to a rapid stop when I'm driving between 120 and 130mph. Then I get a little shimmy in the front end, by the time I hit 65, its gone. BC