Gonna make the purchase soon, please help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Gotta do the front suspension rebuild before we start poppin tires! Can someone assist with my list of parts? 01 4x4 w/190k so far I have the following:

K8708T drivers side uca

K80068 passenger side uca

K8695T lower ball joint (need 2)

K80065 caster cam bolt kit

I also had my heart set on 4 new reflex shocks but from what I am reading they arent makingvthe fronts anymore? #911035 rears and #911122 fronts

my questions:

1) if I cant find the reflex, I understand the rancho rs5000 is equivalent? Thoughts?

1a) does anyone know the part numbers for the ranchos?

2) I understand that most likely I will just need lower ball joints and not arms? Thoughts?

3) what are the odds of needing wheel hub and bearing? Should I just plan on doing them while we are there?

4) what are the odds of needing steering knuckles? Again should we because we are there?

5) what else would be smart to do while in there? Other surprises you found while attempting this???

I have already replaced the sway bar links. Not an off roader so driven pretty easily....

thanks everyone, I wouldnt be doing this if I didnt just love my trac!

Back when I had my '01 I had put Edelbrock IAS shocks on it and it was a world of difference. Not sure if they even make them anymore though. Way back then (probably '02 or '03 lol) the Explorer Express rear sway bar and Edelbrock shocks were the go to mod for the suspension and made a huge difference. When I sold the Trac the new buyer commented that my Trac felt so much more connected then all the others he had been test driving.

Oye..nvm. Just reread your post. Front rebuild.. I was talking about the rear. I don't remember what I did with the front of my Trac, if anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not have caster cam bolts? Not really a wear part that I know of (they just kind of sit there).

1) Don't know

1a) http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup.php?cat=shock&shock_type=Stock+Suspension+System&year=2001&make=Ford&model=Explorer+Sport+Trac&drive=4WD&x=48&y=11

2) Probably; the a-arms are pretty tough. Check the bushings at the frame, though (while you're there); mine have started to crack. About $10/ea.

3) If there is no noise from the hubs, leave 'em as you have no idea how long they might last. It's a fairly simple repair to do later.

4) Low. The wear parts are the upper and lower balls joints and, indirectly, upper control arm.

5) Alignment ;) Check for leaks.

Your front suspension parts list is perfect. Check Amazon or RockAuto to compare pricing and shipping. The 2001-03 ST's require camber kits, 2004-05 do not. Lower OEM ball joints are replaceable, uppers require new UCA's. The RS5000 is a firmer shock than the Reflex, the equivalent was the discontinued RSX5000 series. The front Reflex shocks can still be found, although scarce. (911122 4WD Front/ 911035 Rear) Keep in mind, if you need warranty they will be replaced with the much softer SensaTrac's. Highly recommend you find a facility that offers free front end inspections and get a detailed written estimate. GL

I recently replaced my front suspension... Both complete upper & lower control arms, Also replaced front & rear shocks. Bushing were bad and front shocks blown... I spent a total of $582.50 on parts. I went with Bilstien shocks (Better than Monroe) shocks have better valving, and Movetech control arms (Poly Ball Joint Bushings). Ride is amazing and handles way better than stock. Cost will be a lot cheaper if your only gonna do the uppers... I didn't need to replace Outer Tie rods or Swaybar links, did this on a Saturday and had Alignment done on Monday with only needing to correct the toe. Let me know if you have any questions...

All, thanks for the input! I forgot to mention I am going with Moog parts. I also was hoping I could get an idea on time to repair??? Number of hours if all goes smoothly etc. I have someone to do the work but I want to put a cap on the hours in case he decides to take his time. I priced rockauto at $345 for everything I listed above plus or minus a few buck for the reflex shock issue for the fronts. Im going to check locally and see if anyone will meet their prices. Anybody ever try that?

Hourly shop rates vary by location, usually $80-$120 per hour. GL

I'd go with RockAuto - you won't find lower price locally. This rebuild job gets X hours of flat-rate book time; that's what you can expect to pay. If technician takes longer than book it's out of his pocket, not yours. Don't forget to budget for an alignment.

FYI, TWO Moog K80065 camber kits are needed, one for each side. :supercool:

The 2001-03 ST's require camber kits, 2004-05 do not.

My '04 has an 11/03 build date. I dont have the camber kits. Also my '04 required a '03 fuel cap. The '04 fuel cap didnt fit.

I wonder what else I have is left over '03 parts...LOL...:banghead:

Had the same issue with my '63 406-cui, tri/power galaxie. It had some left over '62 parts on it. Clock spring was one of them...:banghead:

I put a custom steering wheel on it. The '63 horn kit didnot work. The '62 did. Some of the switched wiring isolated circuits, were making ground instead of hot. The '62 was wired that way.

Marsha, I just did the front suspension on my 2003.

Local shop wanted $500 to do just the lower ball joints.

I went with the inexpensive "Parts Warehouse" ball joint & tie rod kit on ebay. I think it was about $99. I bought the ball joint press tool from harbor freight for about $50.

While I was in there I did the front wheel bearing/housings. I found some place online that was selling them for $50 each.

So, for less than $300 I did upper and lower ball joints and bearings. The tie rods were good so I'll save them for later. The wheel bearings came with new abs sensors, save them for later as well.

Best to do this job when it is warm out.

I went with the inexpensive "Parts Warehouse" ball joint & tie rod kit on ebay. I think it was about $99

Suspension and brakes are where I refuse to buy "service grade" parts. Don't know if your $99 price includes shipping, but if you compare RockAuto's price on the same "Problem Solver" parts by Moog, you saved a whopping $8 on parts of unknown and questionable quality (Ebay crap). It's only your life, after all. :banghead:

swshawaii - I use to feel the same way. But the reality is even Moog parts are made in China these days. Sadly, steel alloy technology and CNC machining is no longer the providence of the USA and Europe.

The parts have only be on my truck for about 6 months. So far so good. But if they wear out sooner than expected (or god forbid break). I will be the first to proclaim it right here in this forum.

But let me tell you, the new ball joints have grease zirts and I will be regularly maintaining them. I think they will outlast the original equipment.

But we will shall see...

So I started price checking local parts shops and they dont come close to rockauto. I asked the question to the parts guys, "do I need the camber bolt kit?" And they kept saying "no you can use the existing bolts" so whats the story? Do I or dont I?

Correction. Moog K80065 kits are NOT required on the 2001-03. See linked pdf below.

NOTE: The upper arm-to-frame mounting bolts have set shims that must be replaced with washers (W-705040-S900) to allow for adjustment of the arm in the frame slot.

Alternate Moog K8674 kits, TWO required. (Four total washers, two needed for each UCA)

Latest posts