Good Bench Vise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Looking for a good all purpose bench vise. Just something to hold various items from like wood, pipe, and other basic home owner stuff. Would be great if it's a bench vise that you can get replacement parts for.

I have a bench top that is 3/4" maple hardwood and is stud reinforced. The bench itself is very heavy. It's 4' by 8' and it's all plywood with 2x4 framing. Made to support 2,000 pounds.

I want to stay under $100.

What do you think ?

I have a 5" with a rotating jaw. one side a vise, the other pipe. I like the idea of setting it to a convient angle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bench+vise

This is what I have. I love it.......

EDIT; I just noticed it has poor reviews. I dont understand it. I have banged on mine. Thightened with a hammer. Name it, I abuse it. It is about 8yrs old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to second the Wilton's. I have two of the 6" models in different workshops, and so does my Dad. I have had a few different brands, and the Wilton's are by far the best yet.

I don't usually skimp on tools but I'd have to agree with the Harbor Freight one on this. It's just a vice. I have a couple vices that were my grandfathers, then my dads. They're freakin' bench vises. How do you damage them? Mine have cuts on them from sawzalls and cutoff wheels, been beat to death from misplaced blows from 10lb hammers, spray paint, etc. They still work flawlessly. One is bolted down to a bench and the other I clamp down for lighter jobs and to keep it semi-portable.

Hugh,

The same here. I had an old, old vise I got from my German landlord when I was in the Army back in about 1969. It was kind of rusty and the screw was very rusty and almost locked up with rust. I clean and oiled that old vise and I have had it ever since.

I used to have one of those woodworking vises on my old work bench and I seen a tip in a magazine that you can bolt a large block of laminated wood to the bottom of your machinist vise. That makes your machinist vise a portable vise that you clamp into your wood vise when you need to do metal work. This is a lot better than mounting it to your benchtop since it takes up valuable bench top space, and the wood vise fits flush with the bench top and does not take any space.

...Rich

I actually bought a really high end Craftsman model. With tools, I like to have a place where I can bring them back if they are not to my liking.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Wilton. They seemed to be the top dog for everything. They are even known for the best resale value.