Good show on. Telling of the scam of the "Tornado" and other aftermarket gizmo's for fuel mileage.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tornado....not working? It's been holdong my papers down in place for some time now. Best paperweight I've ever seen.

[Broken External Image]:

Chet

Yeah, well I installed 3 of them and have 10,000 miles on one tank of gas. The tank was actually empty when I installed them. They seem to make new gas. Tanks almost full now, guess I will have to start draining it. Of course they don't advertise this because they don't want the wrath of the big oil companies. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The interesting part with the Tornado Air Managment System is that the vortex generator is before the throttle body. The Throttle body, during normal driving, will eliminate any swirl produced by that device. Then to look at it more in-depth, air, like everything else, will take the path of least resistance. When you have a vacuum, as soon as the air passes over something to create a swirl, and swirl that might be produced will be eliminated because of the path of least resistance. To make any type of swirl to help atomize the fuel would haave to be as the fuel is mixed with the air right before it enters to combustion chamber.

Engines like the Vortec line built by GM does that. (From what I understand and have read) Ford did the same thing with the 2.3L HSC (High Swirl Combustion) engine. That engine was no powerhouse so I am not sure how effective that design really was.

Anyone that knows anything about an engine will tell you to get the most power, you want the smoothest airflow possible. Porting and polishing the intake and exhaust manifolds and the head will net more HP then engines that are not ported and polished. Sure, much of that power is from slightly larger ports, but smooth walls help air flow smoother into the engine.

If you want to know what will give you the most power, look at what race car engines have. Any device, short of forced induction, that produces more power will increase fuel economy. The more power you produce at a lower RPM with less fuel will get you more power.

Look at it this way. Lets say it will take our Trac's 150 HP to run at 75 MPH at 4,000 RPM. If you can produce 150 HP with less throttle, you are gaining economy. Dump more fuel into the cylinders, you get less economy.

As Joseph Bessimer said..."There is a sucker born every minute".

Tom