Got 6 CEL Codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john c 4

Reaction score

Ok my wifes 2001 Job 2 sporttrac threw 3 codes last week( p0174,p0020, and p0004), I cleared them, drove about 400 miles over 3-4 days and now I've got:

p0171 B1 too lean

p0174 B2 too lean

p0010 Camshaft Posistion actuarator B1

p0020 Camshart Posistion Actu.... B2

p0004 Fuel Volume Regularr control circuit

and my favorite

p0000 no failure.

Is there a common failure on the 4.0 (ohc I believe) motors that I need to be looking at? Is this as simple as getting 2 camshaft sensors? Or is there something else I should be looking at. The truck has 71000 miles and hasn't given us much trouble. From what she says, it's had one or 2 spots where its been a little hard to start, but otherwise no noticable weirdness other then the codes.

Any advice is appreciated.

John

I am not an experyt by a long shot but if I was guessing and going on two camshaft sensors, I would think maybe the timing belt or tensioner. Just a wild guess tho. Good Luck whatever it is.

The first two are common, and, if the vacuum leak is bad, the other codes can be a result of the Cracked Elbow. So, replace this elbow first an d reset the computer, then see if the other codes come back.

Here is what you need to replace.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
As with anything, fix the simple stuff first. Are you positive it is a Job 2 Sport Trac?

I know the Job 1 Trac's had some issues with the timing chain tensioners and intake gaskets. I just want you be be sure you have a Job 2.

Tom

I believe I do, My brothers also has a 2001 and he has the old style fuel filter and mine came with the newer style. I just assumed that I did.

john,

Ford changed the fuel filter back to a different style in 03.... Cant go by that...

Look under your hood, is the Oil fill neck on the drivers or passengers side ???

IF it is on the Drivers side it is a Job1, if on the Passenger side it is Job 2...

And if a job 2 then you have the vacuum elbow as shown above... Replace that, reset the light and take it from there....

It is amazing how weird the coeds get if you have a vacuum leak...

Also the other codes are not commmon to the ST engine, i think they are in error....

Todd Z

ok looked last night and the filler was on the left side. I tried to look at the elbow but it was late and I couldn't find it. I;ll check it tonight.

Thanks

John

When you say left side, are you talking drivers or passenger side. Depending on if you are using the proper technique to know left and right side.

If you are using the drivers perspective, you have a Job 1 Trac. It does not have that elbow on it like the Job 2's do.

Tom