Got Re-Geared

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate B

Reaction score
I went in today and got my Precision 4:88 gears installed. I'm taking it easy on them until they break in, but so far, they're great. The next thing on my list is the XCAL2 programmer, but thats probably gonna be in about a month or so.

[Broken External Image]:

Best thing to break in a rear is to drive it easy to 55mph for 60 miles, then let it cool for 4 hours, then drive the same again, then let cool, do this 3 times..

Then beat the snot out of it...

Todd Z

i am interested in buying new gears. ill be ordering my 33's soon so i figured id get the gears with the tires....where can i buy these gears?

Still looks great....(read jealous) Nate.

Maybe we can get deal on the Xcal2's I need one if they will still sell me one...:(

big d i do not know about that what does it cost to do a spindle lift correctly like tonka did? i can get a3" body and superlift 4" suspension lift for apx $2000. and it is 1/2 " higher

Last edited by a moderator:
mike - CT,

You can buy the gears at the below website. They sell all sorts of gear ratios. The ST is the 8.8 Ford series. I was going to go up in gears until Todd Z helped me out with the Xcal idea. If your going to go to 33's though, I recommend at least a 4.10 if not a 4.56 gear ratio if your not there already.

The guys there are REALLY helpful and will explain and do ALL the math for you. Just give them a call if your looking to change up, but don't know what your going to, or if you already have a ratio picked out.

That's also where Tonka went to change out his gears. Haven't heard back from him yet, but he was getting it done on monday from what he said, so he should be getting his ST back anyday now..

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine back today:)

Haven't been able to accelarate hard enough to test it yet. Gotta break the new gears in like nate said.

I already have the Xcal2 so I'll let you all know how the combo works with 37s & 5.13s.

Wonder if I need a reprogram for the Xcal? Or do I just change the parameters?

BTW, My estimate for the install was 267.00 My bill? 450.00 due to machine work to get the cross shaft in perfect & replacing wheel bearings etc.

So I come in at around 750.00 for the whole job.

My 4.10s were not bad (anyone want to buy a used Ring & Pinion:)) But the pinion bearings were bad.

bpoche, With spindles/C-arms/rotors/rear springs & machine work, My lift was approx.

1100.00 not including new shocks. That cost is self installed of course. The Toyos were around another 1100.00 though:)

You have no idea how hard it was for me driving home from work only being able to go 55-60 mph. I wanted to gun it so badly and test out the gears... but I didn't. I set the cruise controll to keep myself from doing it.

RaserX, maybe we can get a group buy going on. Like I said, it may not be for a month, but it's going to happen.

And yes, JohnnyO is correct. They're Procomp Xterrains. 35x12.50 R17.

bpoche, check your email.