Got the Trac back

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
OK, my Trac has been at Ford for the last 4 days. Dropped it off on Monday afternoon for warranty work. Previous diagnosis was that the timing chain was in fact rattling between 2500-3000rpms. When I dropped it off I stated it was for the timing chain, something in the rear end causing vibration @ 64mph and a griding sound @ slow movement, also the driver side power mirror wouldn't go up or in and the steering shudder.

I picked it up today and three of the four issues was fixed.

First, the timing chain/tensioner was replaced with bill showing $405 in parts and $894 in labor with $140 in misc. Total for concern = $1438, I'm rounding numbers;)

Second, rear differential bearings were gone. I knew it was something and I told them I wasn't making stuff up. Needless to say this got me a differential service to the fullest. Parts $266, labor $345, total for concern $611.

Third, replace control assembly switch for outside driver power mirror. Parts, $27, labor $63, total for concern $90.

I was given a rental with a 150 mile per day limit.

Total charge $2188

I paid $107 out the door:cool:

ESP paid for itself today! Taxes alone was almost 50 bucks.

The MAIN thing is that my Trac rides great now, all of the roaring from the rear end is gone. No more vibration. Timing chain rattle is gone and I can adjust my mirror with the window rolled up.:D

AWSOME. That must be a very good feeling. I was reading the post and half way down I was getting really bummed about how much it was costing you. Then at the end I was surprised.