Gotta put my mechanic hat on again.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Coshenet

Reaction score
Late last fall I replaced the passenger side hub assembly. I was getting bad vibration and sure enough, when I jacked up that side, there was some play at the tire. Replaced the hub myself and it has been fine since.

Now the driver side is acting up. It seems to be deteriorating faster on this side and making more noise. So I assume it's the hub, possibly the CV axle? Ball joints? I see Mel is having some ball joint issues so I'm keeping tabs on that thread. How do I know if the CV axle is bad? I have to get this fixed fast. My wifes car went to sh*t at the end of January and we only have one car now. Luckily she's on maternity leave so it has worked out. Oh yeah, I had my first child, a boy, on 1/21/11.

As always, your suggestions and advice are appreciated and priceless.:love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the mechanic hat is good, sometimes the mechanic hat isn't fun. I enjoy working on things, but most of the time I let someone else take car of my daily driver, most of the time. I am a Mechanical Engineering student and I am interning for a pasta production plant as Plant Engineer Intern and love working on the packaging and production machine. I guess the big difference for me is who is paying for the parts and labor. At work where I'm not paying for the parts and getting paid for the labor, then I enjoy it.

Good luck with the swap!

Hub has been replaced. Hour and a half. That included waiting to have a second hub delivered to my house after opening the first one and discovering the ABS cord was broken off. CV axle and ball joints seem ok.

Latest posts