Government investigating Ford SUVs, Mustangs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
More woes for FoMoCo... It doesn't appear that this affects ST's, only '02 Explorers/Mountaineers.

My family had a '96 V8 Explorer where the throttle got stuck at WOT...while merging onto the highway on a rain slicked entrance ramp. I don't remember much of the accident or much 2 weeks before the accident from the concussion. Luckily we hit the end of the guard rail and not the concrete pillar just beyond.

Jett,

Focus on the positive things about living here. And right now one big positive is the weather. Compare Southern California to the majority of the country and be grateful.

;):cool::)

I have lived in SoCal my entire life (a rare native along with my bride).

I wouldn't mind moving to some place a little more restful. I even have the place in mind and even have the place too (Pebble Beach)

The only problem is I would probably have to leave the bride behind if I were to move up to Pebble Beach. (of, course if I did that, I would end up not being able to afford to keep the place in Pebble. Kind of a catch-22).

The biggest bonus of living in the L.A. basin (in Orange County), or any major city for that matter, is you have so many more choices than you do in rural areas. For example, instead of choosing between maybe two theaters with maybe 8 screens, you can choose between dozens of theaters and hundreds of screens. And they are all not that far away.

Of course you pay for that 'convenience' in many ways... crowds, traffic. smog, crime, stress.etc....

I just realized the thread topic has been hi-jacked. Sorry :(

OK...... BACK TO TOPIC ......

Guess what gets me about these recalls is we are talking about 3 year old vehicles. You'd think owners would notice loose carpeting around their gas pedal while vacuuming their vehicles. I'd almost call this normal 'wear and tear'.

We need to get back to more INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY. It's the DRIVER'S responsibility to periodically check their vehicles to ensure safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think owners would notice loose carpeting around their gas pedal while vacuuming their vehicles. I'd

A LOT of owners don't vacuum out their interiors. They may not even wash it themselves and rely on the commercial car wash places to keep their ride clean. Now, granted, that does not acquit them from being responsible for their vehicle's maintenance. but the fact remains, if the carpet installation can allow a little movement of the carpet to interfere with the pedals operation (and cause it to stick in WOT), it IMHO seem to be a design issue. Who knows, maybe the guy at the car wash with the vacuum hose CAUSED the carpet to move over to interfere with the throttle?

That being said, I wonder if any of the folks who reported experiencing the problem would also admit to noticing that the pedal was already having some interference problems before they had the sticking WOT and had not bothered to look into what was wrong.

Latest posts