GPH at idle?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...to shut it off and turn it back on when you're in the coffee lineup or a traffic jam! I shut mine off. I would have to watch the gauge, and write it down, but the "mileage" per gallon is scary enough that I don't use the gauge in those situations.

On the other hand, it's better than my Expedition was!!!

Me,

Why would you want to leave the ST idling and just burning gas and not going anywhere. To get an accurate reading of GPH you would need to tun a very long idle test, and that probably would not be accurate at a different temperature, altitude, or barometric pressure.

...Rich

Rich I live in Ft Lauderdale and I am weighing my hurricane prep options between a stand alone generator or a 2000/3000 watt inverter hooked to my Trac. During Wilma my Trac and a 400 watt inverter powered a 27" tube tv, a floor fan, a 150w halogen lamp and various cell phone/computer chargers. A 2000 watt inverter with 4000 surge can easily power a 5000btu window air conditioner or a full size refrigerator. My deciding factors; inverter is very inexpensive compared to a generator. Would have to store separate gas for a generator. The lesser expensive generators make tons of noise. I can't afford the really nice Hondas. I can get a 2000 or 3000 watt inverter for $150.00. The pros and cons go back and forth but I am leaning towards the inverter.

Me,

Some of the lastest harber frieght preditor generators are not that loud. Not honda quiet but close.

I have the 5500/6500 model. Im very pleased with it. Ran it for 17 days at the back of the House. Happy..........

Me,

If you said you were using the Sport Trac to power an inverter for emergency electric power, people would have known what you are trying to do?

I have seen old 5 hp lawn mowers used to spin an Alternator with an inverter attached....works pretty much like a portable generator and probably uses a lot less gas than the Sport Trac.

...Rich

Latest posts