Greasing the new lower ball joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Thomas 2

Reaction score
So when I installed the Moog lower ball joints on Saturday I noticed it appeared to have grease in them, but the boots weren't "firm". I checked the sheet that came with the joints, and didn't see any step to grease them after installing the grease fitting, so not thinking and in a rush I put it all back together. Truck drove much better but still clunked. Tonight I got under there and filled them up, did I cause any pre-mature wear over the last few days. Probably only put 30-40 miles on them tops. Even quieter now.

I think you should be ok,,, the assembly lube in them for 30 miles as long as it was not bumpy or off road you should be ok..

Todd Z

Drove it to work this morning, still some clunking, I'll have to check them again tonight. How firm should the boot be when correctly filled?

New shocks are in the mail, maybe the shocks are contributing to the sound as well, I really hope the uppers don't need replaced, the truck only has 70k miles on it.

The uppers probably do need replaced as well.

How are your stabilizer bar endlinks? Those can make a clunking noise when worn as well

Replaced the endlinks at the same time, so they are brand new. Uppers would require a whole A-Arm replacement correct?

How firm should the boot be when correctly filled?

Firm without breaking seal. Usualy 4 to 5 pumps from a standard gun.

Careful if you use a air powered gun. just watch the boot.

thansk Eddie, I'll double check tonight, All I've got is a mini gun that squirts a small amount each time. I feel like I'm putting to much in, but really not.

How common is it for the sway bar idolators @ the frame to wear out? Just trying to figure out what else it could be.

Depends on how many miles on the end link bushings. The stock ones are not very durable. If they apear crushed, crumling, loose or split. replace with the moogs.

If you are raised or lowered. You need to compensate the bolt length and center sleeve to the amount of chassis change. Body lift doesnt matter.

Well i got back under there tonight and found grease coming out of the ball joint, and the boot was not firm. I don't believe I Over-greased it, so I must have ruptured the boot during the installation? Not sure but that was the 1st side I did, and had a heck of a time with it. Guess I'll have to re-do that side when I'm in there for the shocks.

If it only came out where the boot seats. Just wipe it off. Make sure the boot reseats. If it ruptured or split the sidewall of the boot, not good.

Didn't see a split from my limited view, I'll inspect better when I have the wheel off to put the shock in.