happy birthday mustang !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I celebrated! :haveabeer::supercool::banana:

If I'm not mistaken, Mustang is the longest continuously produced car model ever.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chevy Suburban 75 years?

of course FORD did make a few mistakes along the way.......:haveabeer: The only good thing I remember is taking a donated 302 and putting it in my Pinto Wagon.... Man would that thing haul the mail....

[Broken External Image]:

Miss my 1969 BOSS 302. It was a hot small block and all around neat car. I miss it every day! I did everything on it except the heads and the front seats..

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

LaRue, good thing it was fast. ANY distance behind a Pinto was too close. :grin:

Fun thread from the MyST archives:

Ya Steve,,, we put the 302, 4sp tranny, 15" wheels and a Merc Bobcat front end on it. The bobcat front end is the only way we could get a radiator in it. And fast does not do it justice.

:driving:

LaRue, I can't believe there is someone on here as crazy as me. Back in the 70s my daily driver (my only car, actually) was a '69 Boss 429 with 4.57:1 rear gears. Not the most efficient auto at burning gas. When the Arabs decided we needed to pay more for their oil I bought a '72 Pinto wagon, a red Squire with woodgrain side trim no less. Quite a difference, hey? But that's not the end of the story. Once gas prices stabilized a couple years later and I was sick of the 4 banger in the Pinto, I found a wrecked '65 Mustang 2+2 in a local junkyard. Out came the 289, C4 auto trans and the rear axle. With a set of custom motor mounts all those parts nearly fell into the Pinto. Later on I switched to a 351W 4V and 4-speed from a '69 Torino GT. Ask the kid with the the 340 Dart Swinger who blew his engine trying to hang with it how fast that car was. :grin:

Roger, forgot the rear axle.... mine was blue but looked a lot like this picture. I got married and gave up a 1970 Nova with a 68 vette 327/350 motor in it...

Btw, got rid of the wife, sold the Pinto, joined the AF, went to Germany and bought a Golf GTI and no speed limits. Pretty good deal......

[Broken External Image]:

Hey LaRue....I had a black on black 77 Pinto Cruzin wagon with some funky factory graphics on the side - great car.

He said "car".

Exactly Both the Surburban and the Ford F-Series have Mustang beat for longest overall vehicles line produced.

of course FORD did make a few mistakes along the way.......

Don't knock the '74-'78 Mustang II. Sure, it's the "red-headed" step-child of the Mustang family, but there's no denying that it saved the Mustang from extinction back during the oil crisis in the '70's. And Lee Iacocca caught lightning in a bottle for a second time with the Mustang II. They were (and still remain) one of the best-selling generations of the Mustang line ever. It was the right car for the times, just like the original was back in '65.

TT,

In some ways the 'stangII lives on. The front suspension clip. Is still the most popular for those that modernize vintage cars.

I thinK the aftermarket has copied the front susension. Gone tubular and more easly adaptable, to most projects.

Eddie, truth be known, that suspension design first appeared on the Pinto. It only sounds a little bit better to refer to it as the Mustang II front suspension. BTW, I have a tubular A-arm version of it with manual Pinto rack & pinion steering on my 67 Ranchero. It even has coil-over shocks designed to fit the original style A-arm mounts.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts