Hard Tonneau Cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas lifts available at any auto parts outlet. I just purchased a "Undercover" tonneau cover off Ebay. Should be here on Thursday. Paid $325.00 with shipping. Internet searches show it going from $700.00-$900.00 plus $65.00 shipping retail. Anyone got any experience to share concerning the "Undercover" tonneau.

Mike,

If you want a new Ford factory hard tonneau cover, you can get a new one from Rusty at Spartan Lincoln/Mercury (one of our sponsors) Cost is about $850.

Used Ford factory hard tonneau covers are often available in the "Swap and Sell" board on the left menu of this web page. Used prices range from about $300-$500

A popular alternative hard tonneau cover is the Advance Cover from Elite Covers (also one of our sponsors). A new Advance Cover will cost about $450.

As for gas springs to lift and hold the tonneau covers open, you cannot just go to an autoparts store and purchase some gas springs. There are specific facts regarding the weight and center of gravity of the cover, the distance from the pivot and center of gravity; where the gas spring will be mounted and the angle of the gas spring at maximum lift. From that you will need to calculate the the lift capacity of the gas springs and the extended and compressed length of the gas springs.

I have patented and manufacture the only gas spring assisted lift kit for the Ford OEM hard tonneau cover and the Advance Cover. I am a sponsor of this site and have been selling these kits here for about 4 years. The current version of the kit is the EZLift kit.

I have also calculated and sold gas springs and mounting hardware for several members who made their own tonneau covers from 3/4" plywood.

If you purchase a Ford or Advance Cover tonneau cover, or make your own from plywood, I would be glad to sell you a kit that works perfectly for the either of the covers.

...Rich Lunder

The LeverLift Company

Me,

One still must know what the part number or specs for the replacement gas springs are. Most part stores only carry gas springs for the trunk, hood or hatch based on make, model and year of the vehicle. If you need gas springs for tonneau cover, you will need to go to the manufacturer of that cover for the exact replacement gas spring.

If you go to a truck accessory store, all they do is order on for you from the manufacturer. If you go to the manufacturer of the tonneau cover, you may get the gas spring or parts cheaper than going through a middle-man.

Currently, I do not release the specs for any gas springs used by The LeverLift Company, so www.truckcovers.net would not be able to help you with any LeverLift parts.

Scott Simon,

I will send you a PDF of the installation instructions for the EZLift kit. Keep your eyes open! I will also be announcing a Group Buy on EZLift kits with substatial discounts. The current price is $120 plus $15 but the Group Buy will cut those prices significantly.

...Rich

Q,

If you have a LeverLift I can get you replacements. If it's for the new EZLift, I guarantee the gas springs for 2 years.

...Rich

Latest posts