Harmonic balancer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnmaine

Reaction score
I think I found the vibration issue........on idle.....Harmonic Balancer....... how long can this piece last like this.......it's not a huge issue yet like I said slight vibration at idle....belts seem fine......I've read this piece has been a problem at any mileage on a sport trac......Is this a costly repair? Like to do it myself....What is the best brand name for this balancer to buy? If it goes to the garage what it the labor cost on average for this replacement.....

I would replace it ASAP and NOT drive the truck....

You need a special crank puller.... Check the projects section on installing the ASP under drive pulley and you can do the same with the OEM one..,.

ASP has none in stock so your option is only OEM from Ford...

Todd Z

I have to ask why you think that that is the issue. I don't believe that I have ever seen one cause a vibtration issue that the driver can actually feel, most of the time people don't even know anything is wrong until it comes apart.

I have seen the rubber bonding fail and allow the outer ring to rotate enough to produce a vibration.

It was so common with the older GM's that they actually built a retaining ring for the Cadillac models just to prevent the outer ring from coming off and destroying things such as the radiator, belts and hoses...

I think there are alot of people who misunderstand the purpose of the harmonic balancer. Some older vehicles where the crankshaft was externally balanced the balancer was used to balance the crankshaft, however this is not the actual purpose of the harmonic balancer. It's not uncommon to be looking at the harmonic balancer while the engine is running and see it wobble slightly, this isn't ideal, but it's not uncommon and usually has no affect on how the engine performs or feels.

Well I looked at my buddies 04 Sport Trac and felt inside his pulley and the rubber piece doesn't

move...now mine moves a little like it broke....now this hole in front of the plate on the pulley is only 1 1/2 or less in Dia. ....the rubber piece looks like about and 1" wide....I hear a clicking sound when running........Now I've read that this pulley can break apart and make a mess in front of the engine..........How can this metal pulley break apart.......never heard such a thing. Now my 04 has only 63000 miles on it...Now there in no wobble whats so ever on this pulley.....but again I've read that the 04's had an issue of bad pulley's.....has anybody have heard of this?

Now for this vibration, sputtering feeling.....this is only at idle don't feel it while I drive.....this happened 5 weeks ago and it has not gotten worse it's just there!! annoying a little. Beleive me everything else has been checked no codes whats so ever....changed plugs and wires cleaned IAC valve etc.......this was quoted to me some time ago "2004 Explorers with 4.0L SOHC have bad crankshaft pulleys/balancer that cause a rough idle almost like a miss. If you shut the car off and reach inside the balancer you will feel a loose piece inside if it is bad".

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not syaing that your balancer isn't bad as I am not there to look at it but looking at the picture nothing seems bad. Your description has me a bit confused though. On a side note the abscence of any trouble code is by no means any kind of indication that something isn't wrong..for instance take fuel trims. They will not set a lean or rich code until the trims go + or - 15 from 0 but this would definetely cause a driveability concern...codes mean nothing

since were on this topic, does any of you alls sport trac shake or vibrate at idle.

mine does pretty good and its noticeable. do all of them do that or do i need this so called

harmonic balancer?

Arturo,

generally speaking, the Tracs do not naturally shake..

I have owned two of them and they ran smooth.

The key to a smooth running engine is what is refereed to base engine. It does not matter if you have high performance fuel pumps, special mass air flow units or high output coils if the engine itself is not near perfect.

Valves and their adjustments MUST be good, chains not stretched too far (which would affect the valve train), spark plugs, wires and fuel MUST be good...

Without a good base engine, you could spend a thousand dollars and NEVER get rid of a shake...

Problem solved stopped the vibration,fluttering feeling at Idle.............this was a problem for this particular year 2004........few photos of what to look for and the new one from the dealer...they changed them a little....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Glad you got it. Both as it helped with the vibration and the likely SERIOUS damage if it would have separated entirely...

re: Harmonic balancer by l1techMember Profile,10/12/2010 22:10 ET

So the center section was broken away inside of the hub? Good info thanks for sharing.

Yes it was ....I would say about 3/4's of the way was off.....This piece must of been starting to break apart long time ago....but in the last 7 weeks I really noticed it....My truck has never ran so smooth......And all this time I thought it was sensors,plugs ,wires.....etc. But before doing all that and a little research and help it was this all along....

Latest posts