Has anyone converted thier non e85 tracs to.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makin Trax

Reaction score
Has anyone converted thier non e85 tracs to run on e85? I was doing alot of looking online and have found a comapny that changes your injectors and a computer to run this fuel. I also read several times that fuel lines, pump and gas tanks have been required to be ethonol tollerant since 1986. To those of you with factory e85 compatibility do you use it often or do you still burn regular gas? :unsure:

still burn regular gas. ethanol is not economical considering we get ten to fourteen miles to the gallon on ethanol

Why? I'd rather convert to a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle if I could.

sure who wouldn't, I'm just looking at alternatives with gas at 4.39 + a gallon here. :cool:

You might want to read up on "Gasohol" before you jump in the deep end with it.

I'll not be using it in my vehicles until forced. You pay less per gallon but you GET less per gallon.

Do a search for the facts. You'll dismiss the whole idea. JMHO

Here's my 02 cents worth from my '02 ST 4x4. It is not set up for E85. But, i did lots of research on how to use E85 without doing damage to the engine. The CPU will take care of the fuel mix, but the ethanol is doing ugly things to your aluminum fuel lines. If you keep the ethanol ratio at 50% or less, your fuel lines should be OK.

I usually put about 18 gallons in the tank every time I fill up and these are mixed city/interstate driving.

My gas mileage was 320 to 330 miles per tank with E10 regular 87 octane (for 17mpg)

On E85, my gas mileage dropped to 250 to 270 (for about 14 mpg or a 19% loss in miles per tank)

I tried several mixes with regular gas. The ethanol just knocks too much punch out of the gas. It didn't really matter if I ran 50% E85, 40% E85 or 30% E85. The gas mileage hit was about the same. I had a little excel type spreadsheet on my PDA to figure the ethanol percentage (within about 3.5%). I will say that E20 was almost no difference in mileage but good luck finding that.

I adjusted my driving habits, put the tire pressure up to 40 psi and I'm getting 360 to 380 miles per tank. i'm averaging about 20 mpg with a mix of city and interstate driving.

There is no good reason to run E85 in a Sport Trac unless the E85 price per gallon is about a dollar less than E10. Arounnd were I live, the gas stations give you a 10 or 15 cents per gallon price break.

It's not worth it.

With E85, I was getting about 60 fewer miles per tank. At 14 mpg, that's about four gallons to make up the difference in tanks. 18 gallons x the 15 cents savings is only $2.70 less per tank but I have to fill up more often. Ergo, no benefit to using E85.

With my current 360 miles per tank, that's about 100 more miles or getting the equivelent of 5 gallons more mileage out of the tank. At 4.13 a gallon today, that's like getting $20.65 of extra gas for free!

I'll NEVER use E85 again unless it's the only product available or it's selling for a dollar a gallon less than 87 octane.

I dumped the PDA and lost the program for figuring the percentage of ethanol. It did take some work and time to run no more than 50% ethanol because I'd have to put so many gallons of E10 or E-zero in the tank, then I'd fill pull up to the next pump and fill the rest with E85.

Hope this didn't bore you too much.

Larry

When you find E85 in my area. The price is as much or almost as much. Not economical. Also you need more than fuel injectors and computer to do a no damage switch over for a non E85 car. The cost would never be recovered in the life of the vehicle. Especialy with a 7 year old trac..

Michelle Widdel converted her Trac to run E85. After it was all complete and did her own testing, it was a waste of money and not worth it at all.

Tom

:)Ok point made and thanks for all of your comments, I'm not going to do any conversion as it would be to expensive and I did more looking around after this post and found more negatives than positives to e-85 ;):):cool: thanks again!!

I am not a big fan of E85 for several reason.

1. It is not economical to use as your primary fuel, and even less economical to convert and existing gas-only engine to run on it.

2. Studies have recently shown that while E85 does not contribute greenhouse gases to our atmosphere, it does emmit other gases that are very harmful to life on earth

3. The biggest problem I have with is that the corn used to make ethynol is a food source and just as I predicted, we are not paying higher food prices. The price for a bushel of corn has sky-rocketed in the past year and so has food. They keep announcing on the news that the corn used is feed corn for animals, but I eat beef, pork and chicken and that increase in feed corn is increasing the cost of meat, and dairy products. It is also contributing to the shortage of fertilizers used for other food crops, ans well as reducing the amount of farmland used for growing food crops.

Afew years ago I saw a study on using corn to make E85 fuel, and they predicted exactly the same thing would happen that is happening now. The experts recommended using Sawgrass to distill into ethynol. It grows very fast. grows in poor soil, and can produce 2-3 crops per year. They also said that Sawgrass produces more ethynol per acre than corn does. The only reason it's not being used is because our farmers can get more money for corn and they know how to grow it. And using corn for fuel increases the demand, and the price, just like it does for oil.

...Rich

2. Studies have recently shown that while E85 does not contribute greenhouse gases to our atmosphere, it does emmit other gases that are very harmful to life on earth

Interesting that you say that. Here is what I do not follow about the logic of those "professionals".

This is how ethanol is made. The corn is cracked and then boiled in water. After the boiling process is done, the wort as it is known, is cooled to room temperature where yeast is added. (Here is what I am leading up to) The yeast consumes the sugars in the wort and produces a strong beer. While the yeast in consuming the sugar, the yeast produces alcohol and CARBON DIOXIDE! We then know that heat is needed to distill the alcohol out of the beer. That heat is produced by a fire (coal, wood, natural gas, heating oil, etc) or electric (coal fired, natural gas fired, nuclear, etc.) The majority of the energy sources I listed produce CO2, along with the fermentation of the alcohol.

Doesn't create greenhouse gasses? I though a greenhouse gas WAS CO2.

Those professionals are freaking idiots. Overpaid idiots!!!

The experts recommended using Sawgrass to distill into ethynol. It grows very fast. grows in poor soil, and can produce 2-3 crops per year. They also said that Sawgrass produces more ethynol per acre than corn does. The only reason it's not being used is because our farmers can get more money for corn and they know how to grow it. And using corn for fuel increases the demand, and the price, just like it does for oil.

I can not blame the farmers. They are producing what gives them the most money per acre grown. I do blame the ethanol producing companies for not pushing sawgrass purchases over corn.

Tom

If it's so lucrative to grow corn, we are the latest farm reports showing nearly a million few acres of corn will be grown this year.

With the ethanol mandate, it's going to impact livestock feeds and eventually milk, beef, pork, turkey and chicken. The price of what corn is grown will increase dramatically!

If it's so lucrative to grow corn, we are the latest farm reports showing nearly a million few acres of corn will be grown this year.

Possible market manipulation?

Tom

Corn is more expensive to grow than soybeans with the price per bushel of the beans increasing, more farmers are switching to beans. Plus, the storms that hit the midwest will have an impact.

Market Watch is reporting $10 corn is a possibility this fall. That is definately going to hurt everyone from milk producers to beef, pork and poultry producers which will also hurt us as consumers.

This is also hitting the news wires now...

WORLD BANK SAYS BIOFUELS CAUSING FOOD PRICES TO INCREASE

LONDON (AFP) - Biofuels have caused world food prices to increase by 75 percent, according to the findings of an unpublished World Bank report published in The Guardian newspaper on Friday.

The daily said the report was finished in April but was not published to avoid embarrassing the US government, which has claimed plant-derived fuels have pushed up prices by only three percent.

Biofuels, which supporters claim are a "greener" alternative to using fossil fuel and cut greenhouse gas emissions, and rising food prices will be on the agenda when G8 leaders meet in Japan next week for their annual summit.

The report's author, a senior World Bank economist, assessed that contrary to claims by US President George W. Bush, increased demand from India and China has not been the cause of rising food prices.

"Rapid income growth in developing countries has not led to large increases in global grain consumption and was not a major factor responsible for the large price increases," the report said.

Droughts in Australia have also not had a significant impact, it added. Instead, European and US drives for greater use of biofuels has had the biggest effect.

The European Union has mooted using biofuels for up to 10 percent of all transport fuels by 2020 as part of an increase in use of renewable energy.

All petrol and diesel in Britain has had to include a biofuels component of at least 2.5 percent since April this year.

"Without the increase in biofuels, global wheat and maize stocks would not have declined appreciably and price increases due to other factors would have been moderate," the report said.

It added that the drive for biofuels has distorted food markets by diverting grain away from food for fuel, encouraging farmers to set aside land for its production, and sparked financial speculation on grains.

But Brazil's transformation of sugar cane into fuel has not had such a dramatic impact, the report said.

"The basket of food prices examined in the study rose by 140 percent between 2002 and this February," The Guardian said.

"The report estimates that higher energy and fertiliser prices accounted for an increase of only 15 percent, while biofuels have been responsible for a 75 percent jump over that period."

Last edited by a moderator:
Farms got such a good price for corn last year they are now short on corn for cattle feed this year...talk about cause and effect!

the farmer next door switch over from corn this season to soy beans....

don't do E85 if you want fuel efficientcy do E85 if you want cleaner air.

I have to agree with Rodger (&Georgia) mee too if I could and Larry for the explainaitions and also Richard L's perfect sense and Caymen...Yes probably so manipulation...isn't that what this country is based on? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: