Headers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHRIS KOPEC

Reaction score
Hi there! My headers are pretty rusted and I was thinking about painting them. I was wondering how hard it was to removed and replaced them? Any special tools? Any info is great!!! I don't think I want to buy new ones. Has anyone painted theres? Thanz...

I dont know of any painting you can do, that wont burn off. What you might have done is to have them, jet hot coated. It will also help hold the heat in the headers and increase exhaust velocity.

I will have to do some research in some of my performance mags. They usually have some adds for it in the back. SoCal being the hot rod place it is, probably somewhere near you...

Found a place to start,,,www.jet-hot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I just painted the pipes on my motorcycle. I used VHT Fireproof paint. It's rated to 2000 degrees. Dupli-color makes a hi-temp paint also. Just make sure you clean them very well.

Mike

When we put the new engine in our bronco, we added headers that we had painted with header paint. Within about 2 minutes of starting the engine for the first time, there was smoke and the paint burned off. I'm not sure that there is a paint around that can withstand the heat.

Smoke...not something you like to see after the install of a new engine.

I also painted the headers on my mustang with header paint that had ceramic in it. It all burned off 3" at the head. The rest is slowly flaking. They were new SS, I sanded, brush them, and thourhly degreased them. Started burning off at first run.

I used a high temp paint on my bike's pipes at first. It was the dupli-color high temp rated at 500 degrees. That smoked and burned off. I then went to Autozone and bought a can of VHT Fireproof paint. That is rated to 2000 degrees. After sanding the paint off and using a film cleaner that is 48% alcohol to clean the pipes, i sprayed the new paint on. The next day, I started the bike up and let it idle for about 5 minutes. Let it cool and did the same thing again. It did put off a little bit a smoke, not really that much to mention, but it didn't smoke or crack at all after that. Like I said earlier, check to see what the paint is rated at and take your time in cleaning. It will pay off in the end.

Mike