Headlight Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Kelly 2

Reaction score
OK, I have to admit that I'm a little embarassed this is my first post. I've owned my ST for 9 months now, and check this site daily. Instead of sharing a great story, or offering some useful information, I need to get some help on changing my headlights. Yes, that's why I'm embarassed.

Has anybody had a problem simply pulling the 'arms' up so that you can get the headlight out. Seems so simple, but they just won't budge. If I try and loosen the nut, the entire bolt turns and I make no progress. Any ideas? THX!

Not sure what "nut" you're trying to get loose. All you should have to do is pull up the black tabs. Follow the project linked below and you should be able to remove the headlights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use 3and1 oil or wd40 on the sliding arms. then grab them with a large pair of pliers for leverage....

I had to really pull hard on one of the tabs, like it was stuck or something... WD40 is a good suggestion, dunno about the rope, I'd be afraid to pull too hard and break something.

They are very tight. Pull up straight on the flat black tabs. If you grab them with a pliers or vice grip, you could rock side to side when pulling. They WILL come up.

On some Tracs they're on real tight. Use prying leverage to lift tabs. Put a piece of wood or something on the cross member to protect the paint. After the first time they are removed, the tabs come out easier in sebsequent attempts.

I used channel-locks and a small piece of wood. Grab the tab with the channel-locks and rotate the back of them on top of the wood(which is positioned just forward of the tabs). They ARE really tight, especially the first time you have to pull them.

PS: the project shows a trim piece to remove to expose the tabs. My '03 does not have this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Claw hammer works really well too, to pry them up.

Crowbar.

old piece of pipe.

pliers if you have really strong forearms...which I don't...they're about the size of 1/2" OD copper pipe...which also works to pry open the little tabs to remove the headlights.

Damn, I'm brilliant.

2 screw drivers in a "t" shape. Works great

Todd Z