Heater Hoses

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Waldrep

Reaction score
As I was under my vehicle yesterday changing the transmission fluid and filter, I noticed two hoses running down the passenger side of the frame. They are connected to the heater hoses from under the hood. The connection to the heater hoses looks professional like it's from the factory. They run toward the rear of the vehicle to just before the rear tire and then after connecting to nothing just loop around and head back toward the front. They end underneath the passenger side front door. The ends are just loose and have fittings that look similar to air hose fittings. It appears that they would connect to each other since one is female and one is male. This would just create a big loop though. What are these for?

Well, it's kinda hard to take pics of 10' or so of hose and also seems rather useless. I thought I gave a good enough description that somebody would know what they're for. It's not like there are 20 different hoses running from the heater hoses under the hood all the way to the rear of the vehicle and back toward the front without connecting to anything.

I'm sorry if that sounded like I was being a smartass. I didn't intend to be. It just seems unusual and unique enough that pictures wouldn't be needed.

i know its hard to do but try to get some pictures... it could have been for an aftermarket part that was put on but was taken off at some point so pictures can help

I'll try to take a couple of pics but really it's just long hoses running along the frame. I'll take a pic of the ends of them and maybe where they connect in the engine compartment. Otherwise it's just taking pics of 10' of heater hose. Why would coolant need to be running all the way toward the back of the vehicle? My first thought was that it was just parts for a different model, like an Explorer with rear heat or something. I can't imagine that they would leave that much hose on a vehicle though when it isn't being used.

Ok, here's the best I can do with the pics. One is where the connections are made to the coolant lines under the hood. The other pic show the male and female end of the hoses underneath the passenger door next to the frame. The male end is a little tough to see. After looking under the hood again, the connection doesn't look professional. I can tell where somebody spliced into the hose and put the Y in there to connect each hose. I'm not sure why I thought it looked professional yesterday.[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like someone installed a coolant flush kit "T" in the heater line.

There's a T or Y in both hoses that comes from the firewall and then those hoses run along the frame toward the back of the truck and have air hose type fittings on them. They're about 10 or 12 feet long. What is it for? With a flush kit it's usually just one T isn't it?

Time for the HVAC "experts" to chime in.

Re-scale your pics to 50% or smaller. Thanks.

Maybe the guy was really anal retentaive about changing his coolant every couple months so he installed a DIY quick change kit? And maybe he doesn't like opening the hood so he installed the long hoses?

I don't know if that's it or not. I've done some searching and found a post on another forum about people discussing using the vehicle's coolant to heat a camper on the back. Someone mentioned a remote heater that you could buy from JC Whitney that uses the vehicle's coolant. Maybe it was something along those lines. That would explain the air hose type quick disconnect fittings on the hose ends. I'm at a loss, but I'm going to rip all that out. No use having coolant in those long hoses.

Camper Heater!!! Those are quick disconnects for taking it on and off. Some sort of remote heater- plugged it in to heat a camper, hunting cabin, garage, etc.

It would be a foolish flush and fill deal.

Nice install work, though! :banana:

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what it was for. It's going to be coming off real soon. Since my hoses are cut anyway, I'm going to put one of those Prestone flush T's in there so I can flush the system out easier.

Would somebody be kind enough to post a pic of the heater hose area like where my first pic above is showing? I want to take this stuff off and need a stock view to see how it's supposed to look. Parts stores have a number of different hoses, and I'm not sure which ones are which. Thanks.

2005 XLS "Base" model pics. Let me know if you need more. GL

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts