Help me read my multi-meter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Just did an "electrical drain" test on a Chrysler van. Using the DCA scale, I'm getting a reading of .002 using the 2M scale. And a reading of .02 on the 20M scale on my meter. So, what does this mean in mill-amps? Also, when I connect the meter I have to wait about 20-30 seconds for the reading to jump down to a steady state. For example, I get an initial reading of 1.66. with it dropping down to .02 (on the 20M scale) after 20 seconds. I know that this is normal, but I'm not sure if the final reading is within spec. So...how do I read the results?

Last edited by a moderator:
???? Most multimeters have a amperage reading of 2.5 amps and 10 amps. The scale that you are giving looks like an ohms scale.

Its the scale within the DCA (direct current amp) area, using the rotary dial.

The lowest reading I get (using the 20M/10amp) scale setting is .02. If I open a glove box (no other dome lights) the reading goes to 1.5something. So would the 1.5 mean 1.5 amps?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct. 1.5 is 1.5 amps and .02 is 20 milliamps which is normal. Anything over 50 milliamps when everything is asleep starts to become a problem.

Latest posts