Help my Truck is falling apart! :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Reese

Reaction score
I have been on and off this site from when I turned 16 got my 2001 island blue sport trac used from a dealer. That was about 50,000 miles ago, I am now 21 and am in sales so I need my truck to be tip top. I HATE Ford Dealerships! I swear they screw up the service on purpose so you have to buy new from them. Let me tell you my history with them. First of all they treated me like crap when I was looking for a trac (my uncle had one and I fell for it I told my mom I wouldn't get my license till I had one and I agreed to pay half, so I got it about 2 weeks beflore my test.) To make matters even worse they treated my mom badly when we came in and asked when my dad would come in to take care of everything (my dad died when I was 13) so of course we went to a different dealer who treated her and me pretty well as it was in a smaller town. Now to service as far as I can remeber I was always treated badly by the people there probably because I am young but no matter how old you are your money is worth they same! I work hard for my money and spend it responsibly. A few problems accured during these services. First I went for an oil and tire rotation since they sent me a holiday coupon. They left a lugnut off or loose enough that it came off and I heard it spinning around in the cap. Fine I can let that slide but its gotten alot worse recently. I went for the recall of the cruise control and a day after the top of my right buttons broke like someone had already broken it and tried to glue it back together. Fine I can deal its not that big of a deal. Now to the real problem at hand my truck has been acting really wierd nothing with the engine though. ITs been making noises and what not in the front. So I have a buddy who works in a garage look at it. He says my break pads and rotars are shot. Mind you I replaced both at a considerable cost 2 years earlier. He says the rotars look like they are the original so I got ripped off!. Well I can stomach that too far back to complain. Well today my front end starts making alot more noise so I take it in to midas by my office. My Wheel barring is about to fall out meaning my tire would of gone with it. I went in for the recall a week ago they should of caught that. After I paid Midas for the new barring, labor, and tax it came out to 650ish. My friend I called about it told me it was a rip off but I was stuck at my office an hour away from home with an undrivable vehicle so I paid it. They take it for a test spin while I pay everything seems fine but then I start to hear a little of the same noise. It gets worse as I go and when I get into my driveway I break and it makes a horrible noise and I try just to lightly push the excellirator to get it in my garage it acts like its in neutral. I put it in park take a look can see anything underneath. I pull it out and try again and it moves making noise but gets there when I stop again it makes a horrible noise. I think I might have some tranny problem. I am going to see if I can make it drivable when I can figure it out so I can take it back to midas since I have a 12 month warrenty that comes with their service. So what I want to ask after this rant is, what is wrong with my baby? I know there are some experts that have been through it all, I call on you now. My truck has been no trouble till I went over 84,000 miles. Maybe I didn't maintain it as well as I should and am paying for it now. I refuse to get rid of her. She is my first car and I don't want to be that guy that looks back with regret at selling their first car. So please help me...Thanks in advance!:(

uhh.... i kinda read that... but my attention span is waaayy to short for it all.

bottom line u pulled in your driveway and it doesn't want to go forward after you had your wheel hub replaced? and it makes a horrible noise?

Better yet... leave out the story and focus on the current problem. What's happening?

What kind of noise, a squealing noise, a rattling noise, a bang. Might check the tranny fluid._Ron

You definately have a tranny problem. You should also learn some basic mechanic skills like brakes, rotors, bearings, etc. It can save you a small fortune. I did both front hubs on my 02 for $120 each plus about three hours of my time. I like doing those types jobs, but I will take it to a friend for work that is beyond my skill or desire to complete.

As for selling your first car, don't worry about it. The pain goes away after a while, especially if you get another kick butt ride that keeps you drooling about driving it. The only car I've ever regretted selling was a 68 Firebird but it was a tricked out, loud and rude, street racer. The guy I sold it to blew the motor about two weeks after he bought it. I had a new Vette so I wasn't the least bit phased by loosing the hot rod. Too bad I didn't get to keep the Vette but a couple of weeks. That one hurt.

My tranny is fine thanks for the comments turned out midas didnt put on a caliper bolt so it binded up. I do know basic mechanics as I replaced my breaks 3 months before but I didnt want to touch it because I was afraid it would void the midas warranty

Now to the real problem at hand my truck has been acting really wierd nothing with the engine though. ITs been making noises and what not in the front. So I have a buddy who works in a garage look at it. He says my break pads and rotars are shot. Mind you I replaced both at a considerable cost 2 years earlier. He says the rotars look like they are the original so I got ripped off!. Well I can stomach that too far back to complain. Well today my front end starts making alot more noise so I take it in to midas by my office. My Wheel barring is about to fall out meaning my tire would of gone with it. I went in for the recall a week ago they should of caught that. After I paid Midas for the new barring, labor, and tax it came out to 650ish. My friend I called about it told me it was a rip off but I was stuck at my office an hour away from home with an undrivable vehicle so I paid it. They take it for a test spin while I pay everything seems fine but then I start to hear a little of the same noise. It gets worse as I go and when I get into my driveway I break and it makes a horrible noise and I try just to lightly push the excellirator to get it in my garage it acts like its in neutral. I put it in park take a look can see anything underneath. I pull it out and try again and it moves making noise but gets there when I stop again it makes a horrible noise. I think I might have some tranny problem. I am going to see if I can make it drivable when I can figure it out so I can take it back to midas since I have a 12 month warrenty that comes with their service. So what I want to ask after this rant is, what is wrong with my baby? I know there are some experts that have been through it all, I call on you now. My truck has been no trouble till I went over 84,000 miles. Maybe I didn't maintain it as well as I should and am paying for it now.

FYI - Replace your front end links just because the ones from Ford are crappy. Get them from AutoZone, and BTW you can do those yourself in less than 1/2 hr.