help on setting up wireless LAN

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark maceda

Reaction score
im using a d-link wirelessrouter and receiver on my pc's im able to access internet on all client computers but cannot setup wireless LAN to share files.. anyone knows hot to?? i need help badly.. thanks!!

If you are using Windows XP there is a file sharing wizard, but it is some what complicated. Look in windows help files for file sharing. An easier way is to download a program called, Network magic, it is a very easy way to control your wireless network.

I had an issue when setting up mine.... it was the windows firewall. I had to shut it off on all computers of the network so I could see the other computers files. (after sharing all the appropriate folders).

mark,

On each computer that you want to share files, open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder that you want to share (like My Documents), right click on the folder and select Sharing and Security. In the middle of the window click on "Share this folder on the network." You'll want to choose a name that's unique to that folder and the computer that it's on - for example, Mark's Documents (because if they're all called My Documents, things can get a little confusing). Windows Firewall will configure itself to share those folders and files within your network. You'll know if it's working if the folder icon changes to one that shows a little hand holding the folder now.

If all of your computers are sharing the same wireless router, and they all have access to the Internet, you shouldn't have to do anything else to your network equipment.

Can I set up a printer for all my computers to use this way?

The main computer has the printer on it(running XP) the other computers are on win 98.

Can I set up a printer for all my computers to use this way?

Yes. Just right-click the printer and hit "Sharing...". The rig it is attached to must be powered on for the printer to work of course, but it does not have to be logged into.

Last edited by a moderator: