HELP!! rock crusher under the hood!?!?!?!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
A little background: Yesterday on my way to work my "Low Fuel" light came on but didn't have time to fill up, so I drove to work and let the truck sit and on the way home put $20 in. This morning when I started the ST, it started up fine but felt like a rock crusher under the hood. It vibrated and bumped while it idled and the check engine light started to blink but, when I get up to 45mph it seemed fine. I did notice that it make a banging noise a couple of time, and wasn't for sure if it was a back fire. I stopped at O'Reily's on the way home because I though it was a fuel filter or bad gas issue. The guy behind the counter thought it was first a coil issue but he looked at it and said the the coil looked fine and maybe its a vacuum issue. I need any advise you can give, I cant keep driving this rock crusher:cry:

Flex, The Oreiley guy cant tell if a coil if good by looking at it.. :)

Check your crank pulley to see if it has moved forward. This will cause the vibration you noted, and may even cause some other odd noises. Some others have had this issue.

Good luck and keep updating the thread so we can all help.

so I drove to work and let the truck sit and on the way home put $20 in. This morning when I started the ST, it started up fine but felt like a rock crusher under the hood. It vibrated and bumped while it idled and the check engine light started to blink but, when I get up to 45mph it seemed fine. I did notice that it make a banging noise a couple of time, and wasn't for sure if it was a back fire.

My money is on bad gas. Or the tank ran so low, the pump picked up trash. Pluged the sock on the pump or pluged the filter.

Try putting some fuel treatment and or a new filter also. The indicator is, it did it after filling the tank. When the tank was so low.

Latest posts