Help Vacuum Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich S03

Reaction score
Since May of this year I have had the '03 in about 5 times and they keep telling me it is a Vacuum seal leak. They have replaced a few values and the manifold and a few of the o2 sensors. Since looking on this website I have seen the same issue come up and it is in this picture.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/10452/Hose1.jpg

They did replace the bottom line which is the one everyone says gets a crack in the bend. The problem I am starting to see now is that the line they replaced it with just collapses when I start the truck. So I am thinking that it is not allowing enough air to pass through the line. The other problem is the piece that connects this line and the manifold itself seems to be sucking air in and it does not have a good enough seal. I have put soap on it and it just sucks the bubbles right in. Has anyone had a problem with these two things and if so do I just need to replace the two parts to get the damn check engine light off.

If the hose is made from the wrong material and too soft. It will colapse under vacuum. If it is a factory replacemnt hose it is a faulty one...

Eddie is correct. They used the wrong type of hose that is too soft and collapses. It's also possible you have some blockage in the line and the vacuum is not flowing causing the hose to collapse but even then, the hose is still too soft.

If a hose is leaking, It might be cracked/split or they used the wrong inside diameter hose. The hose is too big and is not fitting tightly around the pipe nipple...sometimes you can just install a small hose clamp to solve the leaking problem, but that would not be necessary if you use the correct size hose.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my truck back today. When I took it in I made sure to explain everything to them and show them pictures that other members have taken. I would have done it myself but this is the fifth time I have taken it in for this problem and they owed it to me to fit it the correct way. They now replaced the whole part that I have a link to. The elbow is much shorter and stiffer than the other one.

Just a heads up for anyone else with this issue. I think they attempted to just install a new hose to replace the elbow that seems to crack. They simply placed a different Ford elbow in place of the other, which was still causing all of the same problems. Once they knew that I had done my homework on this truck they attempted to tell me they replaced the whole part the first time. If you do have a vacuum leak print the photo and tell them to replace the whole part with the same part as in the picture if there is a crack in that elbow. I would guess that many places will attempt to just put a new hose in place and hope that it still keeps a tight seal.