HELP WIRELESS ROUTER QUESTION

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
How do i secures my wireless service.I set up the firewall on my pc, but i still get the unsecures wireless line on the service list. And i'm using a D link router

I posted the linke below awhile ago, and the concepts are the same if using Linksys or D-Link.

Doh...link broken!...Doh2 LINK FIXED...

Do a search, I know this has been discussed to death on this fora: Search for "Wireless Security" in the message text...

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to enabe WEP encryption in the router set-up and then set a security code..

then any computer that you want on the net-work has to have that securty code typed in to access it..

troy

use WPA if possible. It's more secure than WEP. WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) should be pretty simple to set up. Go to the manufacturer's website, they should have documentation to assist you.

Yep what 'c' said. Go to the manufacturers website. Find the instructions for your model and follow the simple steps. If your router supports WPA it is the easiest and most secure way to go. Turn off all firewalls except for the one built into Windows XP. Software and router firewalls are only going to cause you problems in the future. Turn on Windows Automatic Update and Automatic Download. Make sure you have an active Anti Virus that checks your computer on the fly, not just during a once a week scan. A good free antivirus is 'AVG' which is available from download.com.

Star36,

The file I sent you shows you how to set up WEP with a Key so that nobody can access your network without knowing the Key. Once you set up the key on your wireless laptop, you will not be asked for the key again unless you want to change it.

...Rich