help with headgaskets

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No write up, BUT you need special tools to do this and it is not an easy task......

IF doing both heads, it is easier to remove the engine some times...

And I would change the chains and tensioner too...

Todd Z

What sp tools? Where can I find more info on this? Thanks I have the motor down to the heads now. What do I have to do to get the heads off?

You will be best to pull the motor. You are going to need special cam and chain alignment tools. You are gointo to need new head bolts(they are not reusable) and maybe a few other new bolts. Also a torque to yeild type torque wrench.

These motors arent the same as the old push rod motors. We used to build in our garage.

I have a lot of experiance building motors for 40 years. I will leave these overhead cam modular motors to the experts with the expensive tools.

I understand but there is now way I can afford some one else to do it. I allready have new head bolts. A new gasket set. I thought there is a way to do this with out pulling the motor. The motor has excess coolant in the oil. I need to get this fixed.

I have the v6 out of the car if you need pictures... it was not easy in the least... but not impossible. If it is 2wd then pull with the transmission. I found that to be a better way. if you do pull the engine remember to unplug the o2 sensors... i forgot that and well separated some wires.on the v6 the engine wiring harness extends to the transmission without a separate plug so if you pull the engine without the transmission you will need to unplug that too.

Latest posts