Help with P0301

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry C

Reaction score
Out of nowhere yesterday I got a CEL and the code I pulled was P0301.

It was raining really bad in the Chicago area and thought it was maybe some water, But nope sitill not running correctly this morning.

I drove almost 150 miles in mixed traffic and about half a tank of gas. didn't notice anything till almost home at the end of the day.

I changed the Plug and tested with the OEM wire same. The plug did smell of gas.

I installed the Screaming Coil and Live wires last fall.

Had the 40k service done a few weeks ago with the Injector cleaning.

I did also test the oms across the 1-5 Secondary's on the coil and got a 09.01 which is well within range.

Now I'm starting and idleing fine. and at speed it also seems fine, but at idle under load, backing up or pluging away is is idling ruff.

I do have a 70mm Maf, volant CAI, Modded TB and the stock muffler replaced all been installed for a while. Running an 91 tune for the MAF on a SCT Xcal2. also nothing new.

Anything you guys can think of.

I am still under warrenty, but can't afford to lose the truck for a few days and no work.

Also if I do take it in, should I pull the CAL, MAF and TB and reflash to stock?

Thanks alot for any direction you can point me in.

I would put your stock coil back on..... Try that first... IF the plug and wire are good, IT should only be the coil, or injector....

I dont think it is something internal in the engine....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Put th OE coil back and same issue.

Tested witht het OE and Live wire cables and same.

Going to switch back the old plug, but don't think that'll make a differance.

I did find an exhaust leak, but it's behind the muffler by the axle, so I doubt it's related.

So if I have to take it in, should I pull the MAF and TB and reflash back to stock.

The other thing to meantion is that th Ford dealer I deal with is a Roush dealer, so I wonder if they would understand tat my upgrades are non-related.

thinking it's the fuel Injector, but will know if there is no fuel on the new plug when I pull it shortly.

thanks

Oh and Todd z thanks as always.

Ok get this.

So I clean out the Trac. find my warranty paperwork and jump in the truck. and it's running fine.

I put the Live wire back for Cyl 1 and put about 30 miles on it with no issues.

So this morning test it and it's fine. put the Demon coil back on and it's coding abain for Cyl 1. I grabbed the wire at the tower adn it isn't sparking, so of course grab the abjant tower cyl 5, oh ya it's working.

lol

the only thing I found was a loose ground wire floating behind the coil.

Could that if it came close to the tower shorted it?

I tested the tower and the plug and it looks good but I touched it and it wasn't send any volage to the plug.

I picked up a set of the xp103 plugs I'll put them in this weekend.

Thanks

Ok,

I am confused.... So it is the coil or not, OR you fixed the wire and the problem went away ??

Did you also re install the grounding diode that bolts to the front of the coil ??

Todd Z

I am confused the same as Todd is??? And waht did finding the warranty have to do with you truck running any better?? To resolve problems it often best to do one thing at a time and then test the results rather than doing 10 things and never knowing, or just guessing as to what was causing the problem?

...Rich

It's the coil tested twice to ensure it was the oil. while I was testing I found that the gound wire was loose.

My question is could the loose ground wire come close to tower 1 on the coil short out the coil.

Drove around for an hour with a few stops and no issues with the OE coil.

Thanks

I had a PD Screamin' Demon coil go bad. I had purchased it a couple of years ago from a former site sponsor. I contacted him about it, and he replaced it free of charge for me. Only cost to me was to the return shipping for the bad coil.

I got it directly from Performance Disturbers.

I emailed them yesterday.

If I don't heard from them, I'll call them tomorrow.

One question I do have left is.

Is there any issue with still running the plugs gapped .65 with the LiveWires and the OE coil?

Thanks