Help with scuff and gouge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
I bumped a concrete wall with my Trac. The bumper is scuffed, scratched and has two small gouges in it. It was suggested that I over fill the gouges and scratches with touchup paint in several layers and then try to level the paint with a claybar. Are there any better suggestions on how to repair this? It really dont look to bad, I just hate anything wrong with my truck.

Thanks.

A buddy of mine scraped the brick foundation of his house with the bumper on his sequoia. It put about 5 deep gouges (through the paint and into the black plastic) and several scrapes about 10" long in the bumper. He took it to a place in town that specializes in that kind of repair, only cost him about $150 and you can only tell that something happened there if you know to look for it, and even then it's difficult. Look in the yellow pages to see if you can find anybody like that. If I find what our local guys name is (I think he has a franchise of some national company), I'll let you know.

What the hell is wrong with automakers who design a bumper that cannot take a few bumps?

Back in the old days, bumpers had rubber strips that could be bumped and not get damaged.

I don't think there is any way to repair gouges in the plastic bumpers. You might have to get a whole new bumper cover.

They can be repaired. My buddies bumper cover had gouges through the paint and into the black plastic, and they were pretty deep. Ultracolor fixed it, you can't tell unless you know where to look. I think their limitation is actual cracks in the bumpers.