Help with Tail lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Foster

Reaction score
Last night I got pulled over for no tail lights on my 01 ST, the cop let me off cause he said the line of fire counts as a tail light. The cop told me I had brake lights but the lights were not on unless I stepped on the brake. Today I checked all the fuses and can not find any that appear to be blown. I know when I got home last night I checked the tail lights and they were on. However, again this morning they are not on. Can anyone shed some light onto what may be the problem. I know it sounds electrical but I have no idea were to begin to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is in the harness in the steering column. Wires are to short. Try tilting the steering wheel up and see if they come on. You may have to remove the covers and fix the the jack on the harness,..

Last edited by a moderator:
From the FAQ's...

Category

Electrical

Frequently Asked Question

My brake lights do not work, or 1 side blinker flashes faster then the other (Front or Rear)?

Answer

First check the bulbs to make sure they are good. This was a common problem on the earlier 01-05 Sport Tracs. Tilt your steering wheel up and down a little while trying the brake or directional. If the lights start working properly again, there is a wire in the column that gets stretched by the tilt and can eventually break. Have it looked at by he dealer or repair shop.

Last Updated

11/20/2007

If it's a wiring issue and moving the column up restores proper operation, a harness repair kit is available (Motorcraft part #WPT-611).

Latest posts