Help with wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYJohn

Reaction score
I rushed into a deal on ebay of buying some chrome wheels for my ST and the company says I need 20mm spacers to get them to fit, but they dont sell them. A local store by my house says no one makes 20mm spacers and even if they did its dangerous to put them on a truck because of the weight and the spacers and rotors might warp and possibly snap the lugs off the wheels. I really dont know too much about this so any info some one can share would help. Thanks.

I think I saw in another post that if you use 1.25 spacers you may have to trim your oiginal studs to shorten them, check on that

Jim D,

Really? I've been running 1.25" spacers for almost 3 years, and I didn't do anything special. Took the back tires off, stuck em on, stuck the tires back on, went for a test, came back and re torqued everything, have never had a problem.

1" spacers will require you to trim the OE studs. 1 1/2" spacers will fit perfectly.

Eibach makes some really nice spacers. I have the 1" spacers, in the rear, installed on my Trac. I got them cheap, that is why I got them.

20 MM spacers are less then 1" The smallest Eibach makes is 25 MM which is about 1". If you need 20 MM spacer, these 25 MM should be a perfect fit and for the back wheels, I would go with a larger spacer for the back to balance the axle widths.

Tom

Here's a little info on 1.25" spacers.

I have 1.25" spacers on the rear. The stock studs stick out 1/4" past the rim mating surface. If you have indentations on your rim in this area (as do the stock rims), you do not have to cut the studs. My aftermarket rims are flat on the mating surface, so it required cutting off the un-threaded portion of the stud. The threads still protrude past the lug nut as if stock.

Thanks for all info. What about the safety issue? is there any risk in doing this? The guy at the store made it sound like i will definately damage the rotors and run the chance of the studs snapping.

Caymen, Thanks for the link. I looked at the different sizes and i figure the 1 inch spacers for the front and the 1 1/2 spacers for the back. I guess there really is no safety concern since many of you already have spacers on your ST's. I wonder why the store would tell me that? Oh well, they lost a sale- I'll buy from Summit. Thanks again.

im running 2" spacers in the rear and 1.5" up front...there is no problem..the company's say its a safety risk to cover their butt thats all...but like Mookie said you will have to trim the studs with a spacer less than 1.5"

What I imagine is that they are afraid the spacers wont be hub centric. It looked like the Eibach ones are.

Tom

Latest posts