Here is one for you guys - pulley band separates from the rubber damper???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Z

Reaction score
For about two days now I have heard a very loud chirping sound when I cranked over the ST. The sounds only lasted for maybe a second, and then the sound goes away. That was crazy to me because I just replaced the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley about three months ago, so I could not believe it was anyone of those things again. Upon inspection, I saw that the pulley band on the crankshaft pulley had moved on the rubber damper back towards the area of the speed sensor (I believe that is what it is called the sensor over the crankshaft pulley)? The pulley band moved back enough for the belt to slip off of it, and onto the rubber damper. Anyways, after standing there in complete disbelief for a few minutes, because I have never seen anything like that before I took off the belt. Then, I decided to try and see why this pulley band moved like it did. After many minutes had passed by, I was able to move the pulley band to where it is supposed to be, and it was very tight going back on. I put every thing back together, cranked it up, and watched to see if it would shift on its own. I re cranked it a few more times, as well as a few test runs while checking to see if it had moved anymore, and it did not.

Now that I have said all of that. Has anyone else every seen, or had this happen to them before? Should I look at getting the whole crankshaft pulley replaced soon, or was this just a fluke? Thanks for any help on this!!!

DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK !!!!!

Replace the harmonic balancer ASAP !!!!

Todd Z

Ditto..This what CJ and I was talking about a few threads back.

It will slip again. Next time could cause expensive damage.

Thanks guys, that is what I fingered, but I thought I would ask anyways! Oh well, I have an extended warranty, which covers everything but the normal wear items. I just checked my paperwork for it, just to make sure the harmonic balancer was covered, and it is, so off to the dealer it goes. Besides, I would rather have them change it really do not feel like messing with changing it out, unless I have too. Thanks once again guys.

Mine came apart about 6 months ago.. I got one from ford...Its been redesigned several times..The new one looks pretty cool and alot better made...

I would suggest you contact them and NOT drive it anymore unless they say to. And if they say to drive it in, you get the name of the person and CONFIRM both the name and they they want you to drive it in. That way, if it separates and takes out your radiator and what not, you have a leg to stand on...