Hey Guys I Need Abit of Help...Check Engine Light...P401

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrakeBrenda F

Reaction score
Alright, had the check engine light come on over a month ago..Pulled the code and it told me p401 was the problem..So I went out and got a new EGR valve?? and replaced it...Well ever since then the check engine light still pop's up every now and then..And still the same code pop's up..So does anyone know why it still keeps popping up?? And other then the EGR valve, what else needs to be fixed?? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

drake

Drake,

As previously stated. The P0401 error code is usually (99%) caused by a bad DPFE Sensor. Your EGR valve is probably working just fine, but the sensor is not detecting the proper EGR flow and gives a P0401 or Po402 error indicating too little or too much EGR. Most guy's just buy one at the local parts store for about $30 and replace it in about 10 minutes.

...Rich

As a reminder always come here after you get the code. These guys here can always tell you what part you need. Great bunch here, saved folks alot of money..:D

Drake,

Just reaffirming the 99% probability that it is your DPFE sensor. I had the same problem at around 88K. Picked it up at napa for about $35. FYI, Ford did extend the waranty on the DPFE sensor, I think to 5YR 50K, you can find that info somewhere on the net.

-Jason

I just had the exact same thing this week. Change the DPFE sensor (also known as the EGR pressure sensor) everything workes great now, dont get it from the dealership though, it was stupid priced....

The cracked elbos is a lean condition on bank 1. The DPFE sensor is EGR flow errors, as others have said.

Dad had the code pop-up on his 1999 Taurus. I pulled the code and recognized the code. Dad was ready to get a new EGR. After a small argument and one of those, "I will buy it. If it fixes the problem, you pay me double. If it doesn't, I keep it and it won't cost you a dime" deals. I replaced the DPFE sensor, reset the check engine light, and 3 months later, light still not back on.

Tom

Roger.....Thanks buddy I havent been feeling too well lately, had to get both my hip replacements fixed..Both were almost 15 years old...But I much much better now..Kinda feels like I lost my dog, not being on the boards lately..Feels great to be back..:p:p:p:p

And to everyone else, mucho thanks for the info..Just called Avanced Auto parts this morning and the DPFE sensor is gonna cost me about $64 or so..So guess I'll be doing that later..

And by chance does anyone have any recent pictures of excately what it looks like?? Or better yet, can give me a small walk through, just to make sure i dont screw up the install?? Anyone?

later

drake

Jake..Thanks for the picture, really needed it to be absolutely sure I was doing it right..So thanks a bunch...And I'll check around to see what if any other places have the part cheaper..So once again..Thanks

EDIT**..Jake..Did do another quick check and I did find one at Napa for $32..So that was half off what I was going to pay..So thanks once more for sending me in the right dirction..:D:D:D

drake

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts