high idle problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
quick question started my trac tonight after work and normal when I start it the rpms jump to 2000 and them drop just below 1000 but tonight I started it and they jump to about 2200 and stayed there after about a min they started to drop slowly to under 1000 also noticed that when shifting from park to reverse it seemed to shift hard but from park to drive was normal any ideas have not done anything new just filled up this morning with 89 octane and added a can if injector cleaner yesterday I don't think that this would effect it in any way but not sure...

Baker

Your fuel and additive is not the issue. Has this done it only once or has it come back since you have turned the Trac off and re-started it?

Small vacuum leak developing or time to clean the IAC motor....

Todd Z

I had a different, but possibly related, problem, in that mine wanted to die when shifting into park. It would drop to 200-300 rpms for a second and then eventually recover. Tried the IAC, no change, tried using some contact cleaner on the MAF, no change, cleaned the throttle body, fixed it! I realize the problems are different enough that it may not have any impact for you though. Anyway, on mine there was some gunk built up around where the throttle valve seals against the inner edge of the throttle body and it was obviously creating some airflow issues and inconsistancies. I just throw it out as a possibility that buildup in there is altering the airflow enough to confuse the system and cause problems. It's easy to clean and see if it makes a difference.