High speed NYC to LA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel Deneselya

Reaction score
I just finished the book The Driver, I can highly recommend it.

Also I recommend viewing the video trailer for 32 hours and 11 minutes.

http://gumball144.com/alex-roy/

Just drove out to San Diego myself to do some work related to the Fires out there. covered 2300 miles in 2.5 days in a chevy turbodiesel crew cab 4wd duelie, the seats sucked, by back is a wreck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to steal Axel's thread:

Did the same almost 30 years ago, Panama City, FL to Los Angeles, CA in 2.5 days with a new 350 v8 1978 Chevy Nomad full size van. After attending Navy school in Great Lakes, IL bought the van, drove to Panama City with my Karmann Ghia in tow, left the Ghia there, then head out for LA to pick up my family. After a couple of days, headed back to Panama City, took me almost six days for the return trip:(, with the wife and two year old twin boys. Had fun driving though. Gas was a little cheaper too:), less than a buck a gallon, in the $0.60s I believe.

By the way, thanks Axel for helping in bringing back some sort of normalcy here in San Diego. Figured you had your hands on fixing AT&T lines out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were in Ramona, near the Rodeo park where they were distributing food water and other items to evacuees. My job was setting up a mobile cell site that is satilite based.

here is a photo of it in the parking lot of the hotel we were staying at on scripps parkway, the chevy pickup next to it was what I drove.

http://axxman.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=34&pos=91

we later deployed it to another site near the wildlife park, that area looked worse but there were fewer homes.

The landline crews were working full speed to restore service as quickly as possible. basilcy they need to replace a lot of phone cables that were melted and telephone poles that were burned at the bottom. The wireless network actually was in pretty good shape, our towers were fine, only a few sustained damage. the main problem was the telephone lines that connect the towers to the rest of the network, and getting access to areas where the sites are located.

the trip back was agony on my back though, when I finally got in my ST the seats felt soooo good. and there was a package watining for me with my replacement JL audio speakers. :wub:

Wished I knew beforehand you'll be out here. Could have gone to meet you at your hotel at Scripps Poway Parkway. Am about three miles, as the crow flies, north of it. Watched in slide show your pictures posted at the link. Once again, THANKS.

The fastest verified coast-to-coast time was 32:51 in the 1979 Cannonball by two guys in a Jaguar XJS. Brock Yates' point in the book "Cannonball" (I have it, it's great reading) is that it would be a very tough record to beat because traffic is much heavier now. I have heard recently about two guys in a Ferrari and I have an article in one of my freebie magazines (Details maybe) about two more in a BMW that may have slightly beaten it also.

My personal record for high-speed long distance travel was in college back in 1982 going to Florida for Spring Break. Beaver Falls, PA to Ft. Lauderdale, FL in 18.5 hours. Me and my buddy drove my '78 Monte Carlo, three cheerleaders in the back seat. Smokinnnnnn......:cool:

I have Brock Yates's book as well, but 32:11 was done in 1982, and in October of 06 Alex Roy broke that in a BMW M5, he filmed it, saved the GPS tracks, toll reciepts, gas recipts and had a time card at both ends so I guess that is as close as one can have for verification. I just read his book The Driver (see link above), it was cool to read about it just to hear all the preparation he did and the equipment he used.

Dave Heinz was the driver of the Jaguar that set the 79 record, he worked for a friend of mine's grandfather. Chainsmoker to the end.