high speed tonneau cover opened

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Endrizzi

Reaction score
Anyone ever have their tonneau cover fly open while driving

Happened to me today... wont say how fast i was going (closed road, playing with the xcal)

heard a loud bang and looked into the mirror to see that the front half of the tonneau cover opened..... not too much damage, but i did end up breaking a cable trying to open it afterwards...

anyone else ever have it open?

Yes, a number of people here have had their front tonneau cover pop open while driving down the road. I had mine pop open at fairly low speed but I had the LeverLift which will automatically open the cover when unlatched. Luckily there was no damage.

It seems that the cover can become unlatched when hitting a few bumps in the road and the wind will lift the cover. It does not happen often but it does happen.

In my opinion, the cover was not fully latched and enough of a bump can pop the latches open.

...Rich

The rear half of my cover doesn't latch and I have had a strong wind blow it open while the truck was standing still! When it gets windy, I put the attached bungee loops around the tie downs. I really ought to get the latches to work. I have not had any problems with the front one coming open as the latches work just fine. :eek:nline:

Scared the crap out of me when I had it happen. Somebody had been playing with mine and it didn't fully latch. Driving home that night (15 miles of country road with no street lights) there was this loud bang. As I was in the area where I always worried about the local kids doing something stupid I was convinced that i had run one of them over.

Made several back and forth circles and eventually continued to the house when I never found anything. Once in the garage I made several trips around my truck looking for body parts stuck in the wheel wells. (I live alone and have a very active imagination) Finally noticed the tonneau cover.

Don't remember eating dinner that night but definately had some beers.

I have had the back half of mine CLOSE on me at speed on the Highway. It cracked all the way down the center. At first it was hard to close but after a while it got better.

Latest posts