Hit and run rip off by...PROGRESSIVE insurance...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
I am so pi$$ed off right now...:angry:.I just had an appointment with "MY" insurance adjuster over the damages to my wifes car. She told me she was going to get "used":eek: parts to repair her car. I said "you are not putting used parts on my wifes car". The conversation deteriorated from there. I explained that the reason I called "MY" Insurance and was paying my deducable was to avoid being cheated by the other insurance who will be trying to get away as cheap as possible. Its BULLCRAP that I am not being represented by "MY" PROGRESSIVE insuance. I expained that using cheapo imported parts and used parts "might" be ok if it was my 94 Ranger. But not on my wifes 04 ADRENALIN...uh uh...ain't gonna happen.

Cars depreciate bad enough as it is so imagine what used parts would do to the value. Technically, its a limited edition collectors car..one of the reasons I bought it. I'm pretty sure 04 was the last year they made the ADRENALIN and I bought it in 05. The car has 20 k miles on it and is constantly babied. Just for your guys info..they (PROGRESSIVE) consider 12k miles used. I bought my wifes truck in early 05 so its less than a year old.......grrrrrr. I will be calling the branch manager back on monday and if this is the way they treat people screw them I'll find a better insurance company. The Irony to this whole situation is that the other Insurance will have to foot the bill..so why make it harder on me? Isn't that why I pay premiums? To protect the value of my vehicle?

Now I guess I have to go to battle with the insurance of the girl who hit our Trac....I'm calling my lawyer..I gotta go....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Oh....in the Honda versus FORD debate...you decide who is made better....this is the honda accord that hit Our Sport Trac...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, I thought IF the vehicles was under a certain number of years old, they HAD to use new parts...

Glad you found the person who hit the truck, and your able to get it fixed..

Todd Z

Take it to the repair shop where YOU want to get it fixed, get an in-depth inspection & quote, then give that to her insurance company. In Ohio, you only need one quote, but insurance companies & adjusters try to 'require' two or three. It's your car, her fault, and get it fixed where and how YOU want to !! STAND YOUR GROUND !!

Read your policy. You're spouting off about being cheated to a bunch of guys here who also know little to nothing about insurance contract law.

Your truck is a 2004, no longer new by any definition even if it has only 12k miles. Used sheet metal parts are perfectly acceptable when they have no damage on them.

Most dealerships and body shops will replace with used parts if possible. Example, they can buy a complete door assembly with glass, panel, motor, etc for less money than buying a new skin. I used to deliver used parts all over ATL to dealerships and body shops. Insurance companies encourage it to save $.

C

Wow, am I glad to be in Canada.

ANY accident to ANY vehicle, it is my choice who fixes it. Period.

The insurance companies have no say on what parts are used.

Pretty much the only thing they can say is 'its written off' where the damages are more than the cars worth.

GOD BLESS CANADIAN INSURANCE ;)

As others have said, used parts are completely acceptable. Read your policy and your Lawyer will tell you the same thing.

They can not require you to use aftermarket parts made in China or Tiawan.

Tom

ps. Chris, I pay less then $800.00/year for insurance for 2 cars. How much is your insurance?

Hey Fred,

I'm spouting off again....My truck had all brandnew oem parts on it when I bought it. Now lets say they repair it with bed side off a yellow sport trac....following me still fred? Okay so then lets say that another simple minded 16 year old is having a bad hair day and decides she can drive with no hands and creams my wifes car again...still with me? So after the smoke clears and the next Insurance dweeb shows up and sees bright yellow paint under the green paint...do you think he is going to say "wow yellow primer":blink: or do you think he is gonna say this panel has been replaced before so its not worth as much:cool:? Should I type slower so you can follow me? :p

The bottom line is I didn't buy a car with used parts, I bought and american product with new parts. I pay big insurance rates not to satisfy the Law but to protect the value of my vehicle and I want to support the american jobs of the people who made my beloved Sport trac...so they can make more american products for me and my kids to buy.....come to think of it. Maybe we should blame the insurance companies for the new Adrenalin not being built...those ba$tard$:angry:!!!!

Plus I will know that my wifes truck has junk hanging off the back...and that would really aggravate me.;)

The bottom line is I didn't buy a car with used parts, I bought and american product with new parts.

You aren't driving a new vehicle, it is used. Once you drive it, it is no longer new. It is not worth what ypu paid for it, therefore it isn't worth as much as it used to be.

Tom

Me and the wife are looking forward to the 2007 to come out....We are going to trade our 01 in...Would you know...We went 5 years with out a major scratch....Today the wife was in walmart with the girls scouts selling cookies and she went to leave and seen that someone opened there door and put a huge scratch and a dent in our door...We park way out in nomans land to..she is heart broken...SHE LOVE HER ST....

Guys the way insurance companies will be writing their new policies in the future you will have to pay an extra premium to cover all the mods you have. Every car insurance will be doing this in the future. Allstate and Progressive already have. State Farm wouldn't even insure one of our cars because of all the modifications on it even though they don't outline it at all in their policy.

I guess I should just trash this used POS now..I mean I did drive it off the lot.

Yes.... Q......, I would buy new parts...if I wanted a cheap disposable car I would have bought a chevy. I even buy new oil filters and oil....silly me.

How about this...If you had an ice storm that damaged you house roof...would used shingles be ok? How about tires? should the Insurance be aloud to give you used tires too? Say lightning takes out your tv...can they go to the local pawn shop and get you a new one? I could go on ....but i won't

I think its crap....insurance runs the world. Get this...they provide free of charge to the police department laser radar equipment. when the police get you for speeding you pay a higher premium...sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

So I guess I should bow down to them and take what they give me.....just like the founders of our country did when they were be railroaded by the king.

Raserx

Like I said, Raser, good luck. I wasn't so much "spouting" myself when I said "insurance companies suck...the cheaper they are the more they suck!"...

Instead I was trying to say "you get what you pay for". Some bargain insurance companies have a MO of cutting corners by using used, and non-OEM parts. Fred Kent is right, it is probably all right there in "fine print" in your contract, with verbiage like "we reserve the right to..."

Good luck.

TJR

You guys have to let me know when a "new" vehicle turns "used." It seems to me some are hell bent on labeling a six month old, 6,000 mile vehicle "new."

So, if you were to purchase a "used" vehicle with low miles, then you should pay "new" pricing?

Once it is titled, IT IS USED.

The only way to keep your truck new is to not title it, which means you don't 'own it'...

So, if your insurance company feels that your 2005 (it's 2006 now) used vehicle should have used parts put into it, then fine... Now, obviously they're not going to put a used roof on your house... and used tires? Come on! Please, let me know how a safety issue should compare to a door panel or a bumper? There are a lot things that get refurbished when an insurance company replaces things...hell, that nice cell phone you use may have been refurbished... Nextel's insurance states I get a replacement phone... you know what? It's a refurbished phone. It still works fine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think it is a ripoff that when a home builder builds a new house, they build the foundation of that new house on USED dirt. I mean we pay enough for our houses, don't you think they would build it on NEW dirt? Heck, most dirt under houses is MILLIONS of years old!! :p

As soon as a 2007 is driven off the lot it is "used", depreciation got it. To some people that '88 buick regal that they got off of the used lot is NEW. In reality? Have to agree with Q, apples to oranges. Don't let a material item get you worked up.

C

I agree with the person that feels they should be getting the new factory parts when having things replaced... as I said above, in Canada, well Alberta anyways, if I crash my truck headon into a pole cause I was jacking around and needed $7000 worth of repairs, I get every since peice of that vehicle new, from Ford. Then I get to pick who I want to paint it.

I wouldnt accept anything less, and anyone that did when this idea was brought up in the states should be slapped around a bit ;) and deserves to get used parts put on thier vehicle.

I just dont beleive it... thats wierd to me ;)

Latest posts