Hitch conversion question again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
I ask some questions a while back about the Type II hitch and towing on my 2007 V6 ST. Now my question is for those that have switched from the Type II to a Type III. The Trac is rated for over 5000 pounds and the Type III was an option, so my questions are:

1. Does the whole hitch have to be changed or can one just have a shop cutout the old receiver and install the new receiver?

2. I've asked the local dealer if the crossmember is the same, they can't give me an answer? That is why I asked what I did in #1 above...if the specs on the whole assembly are the same, then is there a need to switch the whole thing?

Seems like someone on here did just what I am asking? If so, what is a reasonable cost for this? If the crossmember is the same, I would feel safer just having the receiver cutout and replaced, than having the whole then cutout!

Any suggestions or pictures would be great.

thanks,

wc

I did the whole x-member change on mine, wish I would have thought of the receiver changeout instead. The x-member is the same except for the receiver tube, and a welded-in tube for the 7 pin wiring receptacle to pass through. Makes it better than having it underneath where it could get ripped off since the hitch is pretty low. Now I didn't check the actual thickness of the two, but I don't really think there is any difference. I still have the old one, I'll see if I can check it out.

Wayne, if I'm not mistaken, you'll need to remove the entire class II hitch and then weld in the class III. A big job with an equally big price tag. It can be done. Good luck, BC

I bought an 07 ST with a Class II hitch. I had a new Class 3/4 hitch installed. They had to remove the back bumper, remove the entire hitch and install a new one.

Costly and a PITA!

I recently found out that the cross bar of the hitch - you know, the one that connects to the frame - are the same for any class hitch on the ST's. The only difference is the receiver size.

My wife has a Class II setup on her Mountaineer - just like my ST. A local hitch shop is installing a new hitch under the existing one. It's a little different. The new hitch attaches under the existing factory one and a plate with a Class II stud slides into the original Class II receiver. When completed, it looks like one Class 3/4 receiver. There's a plate over the original Class II receiver - so it doesn't show.

We're getting it installed in a few weeks and I'll take some picts.

I checked out my class II that I cut off, the metal in the x-member appears to be the same thickness. The factory replacement is bolted on after the old one is cut off. Basically, you cut off the end of the frame rails and the new piece goes inside the frame rails and is bolted through. I did collision repair for 25 years, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but I would definately do the receiver swap if I had it to do over again. I have pictures somewhere I think if anyone is interested. And btw, I made the dealer pay for the hitch and the wiring. The wiring gets the brake and the charging circuit to the hitch. The wiring was almost more difficult than the hitch. The harness is a one-piece setup that goes clear up under the passenger side seat.

Thanks for the all the replies!

Brad, thanks for doing some investigative work between your old one and new one.

Justjimmy, I am very interested in the setup you are talking about?

I am still perplexed by what Ford has done and the situation they have put ST owners in? Almost seems like the Gen 2's were reengineered by some 25 year old college grad that has never owned an SUV/Truck?

Actually, I think that Ford's intent was to make the hitch stronger by making it a welded, integral part of the frame. The mistake they made was in ever offering a Class II hitch to begin with. They should've only offered a Class III.

The thing that is a PITA, I am doing all this for about 500 pounds or so!

The RV trailer I am looking to buy has a hitch weight of 238 pounds, no problem with the Class II, but it has a dry weight of 3100 pounds. So, I figure with a few things added and store, will probably only be in the 3600-4000 pound range!

I could justify the whole conversion if the entire hitch were different, but the only difference is the receiver! A royal PITA for a few hundred pounds!

WC - Go to Valleyindustries.com for the details.

Look in my library for the picture of the hitch with installation instructions. It's listed under 81702.pdf (it's the model number).

The hitch shop is charging me $200.00 installed. If you're handy, you could do it yourself. It looks pretty easy. I just don't have the time or ambition to do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why as well. They are identical setups. I just emailed the company with the question.

I'll let you know the answer when I find out.

P.S. I know the ST is longer then the Explorer but I wonder if the frame is different for the hitch. Hmmmm?

JohnnyO,

I looked all over for that and none of them (in my area) wanted to take liability for damaging the truck. They'd have to remove the bumper and didn't want to chance that the rest of the hitch (the cross bars) would be strong enough to take the loads of a Class 3-4 when it was a Class II hitch. They wouldn't take my word that they were the same.

Bottom line, everyone I talked to was afraid to take a chance.

Oh well.

I love driving my ST and I bought it because I loved my old 1994 Ranger that I bought new and is still on the road with 230k miles on it. But, I am thinking this purchase was a big mistake. I posted on the swap and sell if there was any interest in buying it, then I thought I would just see about switching out the hitch, now I think I may be back to selling...I just don't know. I just can't stomach $1500 for a new hitch, I just can't. Ford has made a huge mistake with this hitch setup. I never thought it would be this big a problem, it is totally my fault for not paying more attention, but Ford is not without blame for their engineering.

I just can't stomach $1500 for a new hitch, I just can't.

I completely agree.

On the flipside, I could not stomach paying for another vehicle with the financial hit greater than $1,500.00 to keep from paying the $1,500.00.

This is an opportunity to go to the LAP Meet and bitch to the Ford engineers about it.

Tom

This is an opportunity to go to the LAP Meet and bitch to the Ford engineers about it.

Maybe so, but it'll likely fall on deaf ears, given the fact that the Sport Trac is an endangered species.:sad:

Honestly, does anyone think that Ford has engineers watching this site? I mean... come on guys (Ford). They certainly should be listing. This site is a wealth of good information that they can certainly use.

Funny you mention deaf ears! I called one of the hitch manufacturers to ask why they make one to go with the OEM hitch on the Explorer, but not the Sport Trac. He told me that it was most likely lack of demand? I ask why he would say that? Told him to google it and he would find many forumns with people asking about it!

I understand the shops not wanting the liabilty issue. Sometimes cash will bring them around. See if you can find someone who knows someone that will take cash, and be sure to tell them you don't want an invoice. Just a suggestion. I think it boils down to Ford getting an extra couple hundred to make it class III. I think the option is around $250. I have the V8, and mine came with the tranny cooler, and the factory wiring for the electronic brake unit under the dash. When I was looking to purchase mine, the dealer said "no problem, we'll just change that for you". Then he checked and had a different tune. He originally said no, but as I walked away, he reconsidered.