Home audio improvement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08Red STA

Reaction score
I am looking into upgrading my home audio system. I use it mainly for movies and games. I have Polk Audio speakers (FL, C, FR, SL, SR) and a JBL powered sub...however I am looking for more power and better sound at higher volumes. I believe that my problem is my receiver. Its not real old (about 2-3yrs maybe) but it was only like $249 (it is Pioneer but not sure of the model off hand). Does any have any suggestions on improving the setup. Do you think replacing the receiver would make the difference or considering just buying a complete surround system and selling my stuff?

Its depends. How much are you willing to spend?

Pioneers are excellent products. Yamaha is pretty good to. For a 5.1 system, look to spend around $1000 for a good sounding receiver. Speakers are fine, Polk is an nice sounding speaker.

Probably cant afford to spend more than $500 right now. So if an upgrade receiver is more than that I will have to save to get the good one or settle for another less than par one. I am not in NEED of one as of yet, as mine is working fine...its just lacking in power and low distortion rating (Im assuming). Just trying to price them and get any information that will help me get a good quality upgrade that will last and not break the bank.

I need a new reciever also. Its 20yrs old. Cuts in and out. The last time I had to resolder the power transistors heat-sinks. The were loose on the mother board and loosing ground when they got hot enough. Time for a replacment cause of age.

One area that helps gather info is amazon.com. Many different opinions and some great details of what your looking for. You can gather prices and info, then see if you can find them in stores to actually hear the performance or vice versa.

For a 5.1 system, look to spend around $1000 for a good sounding receiver.

WRONG! I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. I am a bargain hunter. I spent about $250 on my 7.1 Yamaha HTR5960 receiver AT BEST BUY this summer when my old 8 year old Sony died (which BTW was a $500 receiver I bought for $180 at Circuit City as open box) . It was on sale this fall, open box item. Was a former display model. Came with everything it was supposed to, works flawlessly. They just wanted to move out the 08's to make room for 09 models. 115w per channel x7. Sounds awesome with my 4 Cerwin Vega 12's, 2 Athena 8's, and Athena 6x2 center. Came with 2 year extended warranty as well as factory 1 year. It would have been over $600 new! So shop around Best Buy and Circuit City for open box or end of year sales. Also check out Ebay, Both Circuit City and Best Buy have stuff on there for sale. Tweeter (now out of business) did too.

(click link for details on my Yamaha receiver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally depends on what else you need/want. I can't get what I want for much under $1000, I'm looking for something with HDMI up converting.

So how about it 08RedSTA what do you hook up to it and how?

I have a Yamaha receiver that's 3 years old.

It's amazing!

Paired to my 5.1 speakers and sub, it shakes the house and is clear as a bell.

If it broke today, I would buy another one tomorrow.

My first trip down Yamaha lane and it's very good.

Shop around when you get a particular brand in mind...you can find some great deals.

Totally depends on what else you need/want. I can't get what I want for much under $1000, I'm looking for something with HDMI up converting.

How about THIS:

(link to Best Buy Ebay auction.. clicky)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I'll keep my eye on it, but I still expect it to be far more than it is currently, you know the whole ebay sniping thing.

JD,

So true. My brother went nuts on home theater, Pioneer Kuro Elite 60 inch plasma, McIntosh A/V equipement fitted with custom McIntosh load speakers. Spent about 55K on the total package.

But it depends on tastes and likes. Certainly great sounding receivers under $400 but the higher you go, the more goodies and add ons you will get. I spent 2K on mine. I have polk all around with JBL woofer and a Yamaha receiver. I'm happy with it sounds great. I wouldn't buy from Best Buy or Circuit City. Terrible luck on A/V equipment in the past. But I would sample the sound for sure.

Im not up on all the new gadgets and cool features out there, but from what I know I need a 5.1 or 7.1 for 5 Polk Audio surround speakers and 1 JBL 10" sub. Then I need to power my HDTV, XBOX360, Satellite TV, upconvert DVD player, and a Ipod connection. I assume my problem with my Pioneer is the distortion rating. Any idea what % to look for when trying to upgrade. Id really hate to spend the $ and it not be a major improvement. Also any preference on brands for power and quality (on a budget).

I own the Paradigm Studio Series Speakers and I am very impressed with the sound on movies and games and music. Worth looking into, however the price tag is up there, about $1000 per speaker.

As mentioned above, I have the same speakers. Love them! :wub:

I wanted speakers to play my music well.

They do that...and much more.

I definitely dont wanna replace the speakers. I feel those are good, but need more power than my cheaper receiver is allowing. BTW $1000 /speaker is crazy. Im sure its loud and everything I would want but no way I can afford that.