Home Made radiator flushing !!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Decided it was time to flush the radiator on the Adrenalin. It has 66K on it and it has the ford Premium Gold coolant.

Came up with a way to flush it my self....Consisted of a 5 gallon bucket, a drain adaptor from home depot, some hoze and 1 valve.... Cost was about $20.00

George came over to help and we decided to do his truck as well....

IT went very well and took just about 1 hour to do both trucks.....

Here are some pics of during, and after...

The Ford gold coolant almost looked clear after it was mixed 50/50...

Georges truck took the regular green coolant...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
the contents of the bucket look like what i would wake up to after a long night of drinking !

btw, its about time someone took care of that adrenalin :eek:

Looks like you guys had fun today doing the coolant.

Sorry i couldnt be there to help out but had some stuff to do.

Looks like it worked out well, and now that you got all the bugs

worked out we can do mine :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::p

Paul H

Todd...find a used intercooler pump from an 03/04 Cobra for that and it'll work TONS faster :) If you find one at a junkyard, it is in front of the passenger front tire and the relay/power block for it is around the intake on the fender wall under the hood if you are wanting that part too :)

Keith, you cant use a pump, Once the thermostat closes there is no flow....

A pump would cause damage...

Rodger, I used a 5 gallon bucket, and a sink drain kit, a 1/4 to 1/4 washing machine hose coupler, 1 and 1/4 inch glue on valve , some clamps, a short piece of 1 and 1/4 PVC pipe

and 4 feet of flexible 1 and 1/4 hose.

I drilled a hole in the bucket and installed the sink drain kit, then glued some pieces of pipe in the valve and coupled it together...

Then you get the bucket high enough and hook the bucket to the radiator. the hose from the thermostat is the waste side and that you drain to waste.

Fill the good bucket with 3 gallons of mixed coolant...Remiove the rad cap and open the valve on the bucket until fluid comes to the top of the rad and put the rad cap back on...

Start the truck and let it run until all of the new coolant is gone, or your happy with the color going into the waste bucket. ( do not let the bucket run dry !!!!!! )

Check the temp Gauge every now and then..

AS the t- stat opens and closes the flow will start and stop....

Once done, shut off the truck, re connect the hoses, fill the radiator, run the truck until the level is good in the rad, Cap the rad, shut off the truck and then flush and fill the overflow...

Now the overflow is easy..... Remove the little line off the radiator by the cap... Pull it out from under the rad and it is long enough to hang by the bumper in the bucket...

Using a garden hose fill the overflow bottle, the force will start a siphon and empty the overflow... Repeat as many times as you want...

Then reconnect it to the truck, fill it to the middle seam on the bottle and start the truck..

Drive it around a little and once it cools, re check the rad level and the reservoir level..

You should not need any coolant if you filled it back up correctly...

Re check it cold a morning about a week later..

Hope this helps

Todd Z

Ever take a look at a rad machine the fast lube places use...

Looks just like this one when you open up the fancy metal square box around it....

Saved money also !!!!

Todd Z

Looks pretty easy to pull off. Nice job, Todd.

Isn't there another step you're supposed to take to back-flush the heater core or something? I remember looking at the steps for changing the fluid in my shop manual and that's the part that made me decide to leave it to the pros. If it's unnecessary, maybe I'll give your version a shot.

Piro, if needing to "back flush" the heater core you need to remove hoses and do some switching, but that is not recomended

To "straight flush" the heater core just have the heat on low and it will be flushed as the rad gets flushed...

Todd Z

LOL tom... Nope, But may be a "tool Rental" section... :eek::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol: hmmmmmmmmmmm ?????

LOL

Todd Z

Can't you see it in the pictures???? That's Todd's "drive up mods and radiator flushes" . . . It's that new business he is starting . . .. Paul H could not make it because he was doing the paperwork . . .:lol::lol::lol: They are only open on weekends. . . .

Good work guys.

Latest posts