Home Made radiator flushing !!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd,

It only cost about $35 to have your cooling system flushed and refilled down here in Texas? Seems to me that it's harly worth the time and effort to make your own flush kit. It's also cheaper and easier to just remove the thermostat when flushing the system.

...Rich

My st uses the ford Premium gold coolant, And I refuse to use that "universal crap" . Ford wanted $109.99 to do the flush and only uses 1 gallon of coolant...

The fast lube places are $69.99 and if you have special coolant, you must get it your self or use the universal crap... No thanks...

I used 3 mixed gallons and did it until it flushed clean, not till the 2 mixed gallons were used...

The $35.00 rate I am sure is not for the gold or yellow coolant, probably the green...

Please explain to me how it is cheaper and easier to remove the t-stat???

The time an labor involved, rubber gasket, new t-stat Ect... that adds up...

Total time was 1/2 hour start to finish...

For $20 bucks from home depot, and some stuff I had laying around the house I now have a system that I can use on both my trucks, Friends ST's and any other car I work on....

Save $50.00 on 1 truck, not too bad, But save $50.00 on 10 cars... Well that my friend is a savings... Plus I can now do the cars I work on and save them from places screwing them over saying they flushed it and only drained and filled the radiator... Too common here..

I think it is a good deal... And the time and effort is nothing to me, This was a breeze..

Am I telling everyone to do it, No, Just sharing information....

Kinda like the people making their own tranny flush machines... Same principal...

Todd Z

Todd,

My point about removing the thermostat was based on the assumption you were going to replace the old one anyway. So...you removed the old one, leave the old gasket, do your flush and then put in the new gasket and thermostat.

No problem making the flush kit if you plan on doing 10 other cars, most people don't do any more than their own vehicle and then only once every 10 years, and only if the coolant looks like used motor oil

Also, If you have it flushed and buy your own gold fluid, they can't charge as much. I do agree that I would not pay a dealer $100+ to flush my coolant, and I would not pay $69 for someone else to do it and have to buy my own special coolant on top of that!

...Rich

Got it now rich,

Thank you !!!

Todd Z

Latest posts